Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp + Suppressor

jlamphere

Does a comp still work with a suppressor screwed on top? I am looking at a 300 Blackout and did not know if the ACC comp would still function as a comp once the suppressor is put on.

Edited by jlamphere

The only effect that the AAC comp has (I run one) is reducing wear on the first few baffles of the can itself. Effectively taking the worst of each blast rather than the can. But no, any effect of compensation is no longer given by the brake but by the can itself at that point.

It's a comp when the suppressor isn't on there. You could also go with a muzzle brake or a flash hider. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Once the suppressor is on, the gun should function the same regardless of the mounting device chosen.

ETA grammar!

Edited by johnsons1480

Technically no, as the comp's porting would no longer be utilized. However, pretty much any suppressor is going to be more effective than any comp at reducing felt recoil.

The first statement is correct, but the second sentence is NOT correct. A good muzzle brake is more effective at reducing recoil by a noticeable margin. When you fire a rifle at a long distance piece of steel the effectiveness of the brake over the can is obvious. A rifle with a can such as the AAC utilizing the brake mount will have less recoil without the can in place.

As already mentioned, the brake is a good thing saving wear on your internals and is easily replaced when needed.

, but the second sentence is NOT correct. A good muzzle brake is more effective at reducing recoil by a noticeable margin. When you fire a rifle at a long distance piece of steel the effectiveness of the brake over the can is obvious. A rifle with a can such as the AAC utilizing the brake mount will have less recoil without the can in place.

Interesting... admittedly, my statement was based purely on subjective observation, and honestly I've shot way more suppressed handgun than rifle (suppressors pretty much make pistol recoil go away... more of a function of added muzzle weight than anything).

, but the second sentence is NOT correct. A good muzzle brake is more effective at reducing recoil by a noticeable margin. When you fire a rifle at a long distance piece of steel the effectiveness of the brake over the can is obvious. A rifle with a can such as the AAC utilizing the brake mount will have less recoil without the can in place.

Interesting... admittedly, my statement was based purely on subjective observation, and honestly I've shot way more suppressed handgun than rifle (suppressors pretty much make pistol recoil go away... more of a function of added muzzle weight than anything).

I wondered if that wasn't the case. That discussion seems to come up a lot. I have a couple of rifle cans and am around a few others at our monthly long range rifle matches. My 7mm RM with a brake has less felt recoil than a .260 with a can.

The muzzle break will ease some of the wear in the can. It's easier to replace a comp every few thousand rounds than to have a can rebuilt.

It'll feel the same when its on either way though.

this is the same reason i use muzzle brakes as the muzzle device for my quick detach suppressors. my subjective opinion is I get more benefit from the comp when the suppressor is not mounted, but i still get some recoil mgmt benefit from the comp even with the can on. biggest reason to use a muzzle brake rather than a flash hider as the QD mount (or using a direct-thread can) is that the brake acts as a sacrificial baffle for your suppressor. this is not so critical on 16" or longer barrels, but short barreled 5.56" rifles will quickly erode your suppressor's blast baffle and reduce its effectiveness.
/thread drift for a moment on legality and NFA admin issues on transferring suppressors
a while back, the ATF ruled that the serialized component of the suppressor (the tube) cannot be replaced by a manufacturer as a "repair" activity. if the suppressor tube needs to be replaced, it constitutes the transfer of a new suppressor (even if the manufacturer decides not to charge for it) and therefore the end user must file another form (3,4, or 5) before the new suppressor can be transferred. if you're a private citizen transferring on a form 4, this effectively means you're hosed as you must wait another 6-8 months for the new form to be approved.
/relevant discussion
While some suppressors can be rebuilt, most of the centerfire rifle suppressors that I am familiar with are all welded construction (surefire, AAC, YHM, gemtech, etc) and are effectively not repairable since the baffles cannot be replaced - they're welded to the suppressor tube, unfortunately, this means that if you wear out the can through heavy use or have a baffle strike that destroys the can, you either live with the poor performance of a worn or damaged can or have to start the transfer process all over again for a new can (even if your manufacturer is willing to give you a new one free of charge). this is why many suppressor owners are extra vigilant about preserving their investment - it's not just the $$ cost to replace, but (these days) the 3/4 of a year or more you may wait to get a replacement in hand...
gratuitous pics below - 16" rifle has a comp muzzle brake, works for recoil mgmt and even though not really necessary on 16" gun to protect suppressor baffles it cannot hurt.
10.5" rifle has a brakeout muzzle device which is already heavily worn after only 4K rounds. i'll swap it out after another few thousand as preventive maintenance to protect the can.
IMG_0648.jpg
pic below shows difference in size between AAC M42000 (5.56mm can) and AAC 762-SD (7.62mm can), Can run both on the 5.56mm rifle, but if you run common muzzle devices across 5.56 and 7.62 rifles, just be sure you don't swap them the other way around... :)
20120907_232700.jpg