Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made Primer Pick up tubes

Found the idea on here. I ordered (2) 3' tubes from McMaster.com yesterday morning and they were here today waiting for me at my door. 1 tube for small primers and 1 tube for large primers. WOW, that was super fast shipping!!!

They are cut into 1' lengths. I used a case deburring tool on the ends to clean them up. Works like a charm. I now have a total of 3 extra small and 3 extra large tubes for only $22.

79EE1FA7-C274-46EC-B8B1-ED1FC0E25CE4-119

2A67FCBA-F9D4-486C-9CFF-8CE82FC14663-119

BD3ACD89-6B27-4A2F-993C-540F0E1777CD-119

Edited by Franco79

Here ya go! For some reason the tube for the smaller primers is more money but they don't have anything to substitute for it.

Small Primer tube = .183 ID x 5/16" OD Part #89965K461

Large Primer tube = .215 ID x 5/16" OD Part #89965K471

Also, you must debur the inside of the tube. When you use a pipe cutter like I did it seems to "smash" the ends in somewhat. Deburring it opens it back up And also when you put on the gallon primer tips a deburred inside of the pipe allows the primer to go in a lot easier. Just do what I did in the pictures and you will be good to go no worries.

Edited by Franco79

The more you put in the primer system, the bigger the explosion if it blows up. Just something to think about.

Even pro loaders don't hold a whole bunch of primers per column, even running at 3600 RPH. There's a reason for that.

The dillon parts kit comes with extra tips. I'm sure if you call Dillon up and ask them nicely they might send you some.

Where do you get the plastic pickup part?Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I like hornady pickups better Ill have to see if I can get some of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I like hornady pickups better Ill have to see if I can get some of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The last batch of hornady pickup tubes I got was too tight. Like strain your hand to push it onto the primers tight. Like so tight that sometimes a primer would jam where the plastic transitioned to the metal. I tried stretching the plastic by forcing a punch in there and they were still too tight. I don't know what happened but I guess it was a bad batch of tips. I couldn't see any visible casting flash or anything.

I had to take all those hornady tubes and use the lathe to cut off the end (their tips go inside instead of outside) and put dillon pickup tips on them. Much better now.