Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying to a match for the first time ...checklist?

Ship ammo. You are only allowed 11 lbs which is not much. Most major matches have a shop that is expecting shipments or send it to your hotel.

Make sure you have enough locks. I was surprised this summer when I flew to a match and TSA wanted a lock on every lock point on the case.

Allow yourself time at the airport. Sometimes getting thru with guns is easy, sometimes its time consuming.

A search will get you a number of threads on travelling with competition firearms/ammunition.

I would add one important precaution. Check, then double check and then triple check that no stray live ammo is in anything you intend to carry on. Especially coming back from a match, I find rounds in the most unexpected of places.

Print a copy of the rules and regs for transporting on the particular airline u are flying. Lots of employees have no clue, and when u are properly informed, it should go smoother, may have to actually show them the print out!!!

Make sure you have your guns unloaded, and magazines separate. You can fly with loaded magazines, but some employees don't know that. TSA is usually up to date and knows this. Ammo must be in plastic or factory boxes. If you use factory boxes, tape them up completely. They get beat up in the suitcase. It helps if you have a hardside suitcase, but it is only the gun case that must be locked up. See www.securefirearmsproducts.com or their vendor page here for some of the best gun cases to fly with.

When you go the airport, go at least an hour early. Dress respectably. If you look like scumbag guess what. It is what it is.

Watch the lines, find the most personable employee in the lines. Be very polite and respectful, compliment them and thank them for their thankless job. Just calmly tell them that you need to check in and that you have unloaded firearms to declare. Then let them tell you what they want you to do. If you have a nasty person try to be nice with them. If they are jacking with you then politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Don't lose your cool. It is a simple procedure. They are now in many places after getting your boarding passes and putting the tag in the suitcase walking you to TSA for screening. Just stand there with your keys and tell them if they need in the case to come get your keys. They know the drill. Also put your cell phone # on your gun case in case they need the keys.

People do this everyday. Just relax and go early so you don't have to stress. You will figure it out....

DougC