Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 COL issue...hope you can help.

Hey guys I have small dilemma with my new Dillon Super 1050, I thought you guys that have used this machine for a while could help out. I have been using a Dillon 550 since 93, and have always had outstanding bullets, no matter what it always delivers a perfect round every time. I always recommend them to anyone wanting to start reloading. I use Lee resize and deprime & bullet seating dies on my 550.

Well since I got my 1050 I have been able to stop primer depth problem, primer being ejected out, missing primer, jamming primer all to which have been lovely learning experiences. But one still eludes me and makes my brain hurt. I have been loading 9mm with an 115gr bullet from (RMR) Rocky Mountain Reloading, and using a COL of 1.100”, I use Hornady loading manual. I am using a Lee Bullet seating die, and know how to them set up. I have just enough belling on the case to allow the bullet to sit firm in the case mouth. I have set my bullet seating die to 1.100” . When I start up I will have COL of 1.105 or even 1.106. Most of my rounds loaded are within 1.097” to 1.103”. With the majority of those landing dead on 1.100”. When I take those rounds that are 1.105 and longer and put them back through my seating die they hit 1.100” . I had the same thing happen with Berry’s Bullets, which I never had a problem with any on my 550. In fact they were my favorite plinking bullets. Anyone hazard to guess? I know some of the bullets may not be as round as others. But to run it through first and get 1.105, then put the same round back in the loader to get 1.100”?

Thanks guys I appreciate your time on this.

EXNAVYEOD

Edited by EXNAVYEOD

Well...mines vary like yours does and I don't know why. I've thought it may be because if all the stations don't have a piece of brass in them it will cause the ram to flex or not flex???

I'm using the Redding competition seating die with the micrometer adjustment and thought it will produce a more consistent length round. It does but not all of them are exactly the same length.

Then I thought about what type of cup this die has (for round nose or flat points) and it has the round nose profile cup. Since I'm using hollow point bullets the cup must be hitting the bullet somewhere on the ogive and and not on the tip itself.

Also, when you send the "longer" rounds through again, it may be the bullet seated slightly off-center and when the round enters the die again it is going in a different position, then maybe the cup is pushing down on the "longer" side of the round.

Thought of using a seating cup for a flat point bullet so it'll push/seat the bullet on the tip. Since the measurement is taken from bullet tip to case rim.

In the end, all of my loaded rounds function perfectly, even if not all are the same exact length, so I don't worry about it anymore (not worth it).

Edited by HI5-O

So your max diviation is 0.006? If so you don't have a problem.

Load and shoot, such small diviation is normal, and unavoidable. If your 550 produced bullets with absolutely no diviation on overall length then it was hunted and you should imiditly call a priest to have him expunge the match grade ammo loading demons that hunt it :)

If your shellplate is snug, but rotates smoothly, your toolhead is tightened down, and your dies are locked down, then you are down to brass and bullets.

If you are not using same headstamp brass, then you will have the variation on the OAL you are experiencing. When I load same headstamp brass for good ammo or 9major even the same manufacturer will not have the same OAL on the brass. You can expect around a .005 variation, and it will be around .010 on mixed brass. Just the way it is. It does not hurt anything at all, and makes no issue on accuracy that I can find. Now, all bullets are not made equal. If the bullets are not uniform, and some plated are not.....that will affect your OAL as well.

You are getting there, take your time and you will get it figured out!

DougC

Thanks guys I have read all your posts with great diligence. I have wondered that maybe the shell plate was flexing down, never gave any thought to making sure all stations are full, as in AL503's, and HI5-0 posts, I do understand, and thanks. My wife says I was being to picky, and her being the expert on everything is possibly correct. I won't tell her. Nice to see there isn't a to much of a problem. Thank you all for your help.

I didn't see a way to reply to individual posts. Perhaps I missed a click some where?

• 2 weeks later...