Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can an unsecure wall cause a DQ via AD?

Don Springer

Add to this mix-the percentage of folks with disabled grip safeties is way more than 50%. So, a wall crashing on a gun with a nice trigger raises even more reasonable doubt. Just sayin

I'm curious why. After all, the OP said: "he puts a round in the deck 3 feet from his feet"

10.4.2 A shot which strikes the ground within 10 feet of the competitor, except when shooting at a paper target closer than 10 feet to the competitor.

It doesn't matter if he argues that his finger was in the trigger or not, or if he was reloading or not. Or even if he was shooting at a target, if the target was farther than 10 feet away. 10.4.2 is a match DQ.

Now, whether or not an arb would get "extenuating circumstances" I don't know, because I didn't see it. (Though with no more data than what has been given so far, I'd say his finger was on the trigger and uphold the DQ, unless further information came out about a projection from the wall that caught in his trigger guard, or the RO saw his finger pinned to the slide the whole time, or something similar. However, barring that---DQ.)

I also note that "a wall crashing on a gun with a nice trigger" isn't an excuse, in my book. If the gun will go off without your finger on the trigger, then either 1) it is your responsibility whenever it goes off, or 2) the gun is unsafe. (Both, really) Either way, no excuse.

Add to this mix-the percentage of folks with disabled grip safeties is way more than 50%. So, a wall crashing on a gun with a nice trigger raises even more reasonable doubt. Just sayin

I'm curious why. After all, the OP said: "he puts a round in the deck 3 feet from his feet"

10.4.2 A shot which strikes the ground within 10 feet of the competitor, except when shooting at a paper target closer than 10 feet to the competitor.

It doesn't matter if he argues that his finger was in the trigger or not, or if he was reloading or not. Or even if he was shooting at a target, if the target was farther than 10 feet away. 10.4.2 is a match DQ.

It matters alot to me, just like it would matter if the RO smacked the shooter's hand while he was shooting so the gun went down and the round impacted the ground.

If you're actually engaging targets and the stage falls apart and smacks you (or the RO smacks you), so your legitimate shot goes somewhere else, I couldn't call a dq, and I would probably vote to overturn one on arb.

OTOH, if you are moving or reloading or otherwise doing something where your finger should be out of the trigger guard, it might change things considerably.

I also note that "a wall crashing on a gun with a nice trigger" isn't an excuse, in my book. If the gun will go off without your finger on the trigger, then either 1) it is your responsibility whenever it goes off, or 2) the gun is unsafe. (Both, really) Either way, no excuse.

I agree with this. If it can go off when a wall hits it, it can go off when you drop it, and potentially kill someone.

Now, whether or not an arb would get "extenuating circumstances" I don't know, because I didn't see it. (Though with no more data than what has been given so far, I'd say his finger was on the trigger and uphold the DQ, unless further information came out about a projection from the wall that caught in his trigger guard, or the RO saw his finger pinned to the slide the whole time, or something similar. However, barring that---DQ.)

In any event, there's no broken gun alibi in the rulebook.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wondered about this extreme scenario: You are at a 2-3 day match and on the first day in a building you lean into a wall to get a shot and a piece of the ceiling fall and knocks you out. You drop your gun while unconscious. After getting checked out at the hospital shouldn't you be able to shoot the following day?