Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear muffs

RC1

I am interested to see if anyone has tried the new Peltor's Tactical Pro muffs? I am trying to decide between the ProMags and these. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks Rick

Hey RC,

I'm using the Peltor ComTac and love it.

I'd like to offer two alternatives, one is Sordin - http://www.sordin.com/en/default.asp

The second alt' are Ear Plugs, personally molded to your ear(non electronic) - http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold-rec.php

At matches, after several hours while wearing ear muffs, my ears get sweaty and sore/painful. So sometimes, I use the ear plugs.

SNR or NRR? I believe it's difficult to measure the NRR of electric muffs in the 'on' mode, but some post them for with the electronics off. They tend to be lower than passive models just because the electronics and batteries take up space that would otherwise be used for sound-blocking material.

How come these companies never tell you the SNR of their muffs?

Because they are only about 20 dB. That means if you light off a .357 magnum with a peak muzzle wave of about 165 - 170 dBA, you ears are getting upwards of about 145 to 150 dBA.

That is probably about 100 times as much energy as you would get standing in front of the speakers at a rock concert.

Can you say:

HUH?

SNR or NRR? I believe it's difficult to measure the NRR of electric muffs in the 'on' mode,

Should be exactly the same as in the OFF mode. They use a calibrated "head" with mikes built in. When the electronics are ON, they do nothing to reduce loud noises traveling through the headphones. They do "clip" the sound level being produced by the internal speaker to a safe level (about 85 dBA if the ads are true). However, that has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the loud sound wave that comes into your ears because much of it goes through the headphones themselves and the lower frequency components are conducted through the bones of your face and skull.