Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 FO front sight install help PLZ

JDADK

Hi guys... having an issue with the install on my 625 front sight.. the roll pin looks incredibly small trying to find the proper punch to take it out without any damage. looks like 1 mm but cannot confirm. does anyone know the correct non-tapperred punch for this and where the heck I can get it?? thanks JD

My cousin just got this gun and showed me how the front sight works. You don't need to remove the roll pin, the front sight is spring loaded, just slide back and lift. Very cool system.

Not necessarily, ufo. I have multiple 625's that have different front sight configurations. One, referred to as "classic" has a hole under the front sight when viewed from the barrel. MAKE CERTAIN THE GUN IS UNLOADED - TWICE - BEFORE YOU LOOK! A small allen wrench inserted under the horizontal pin visible in the hole moves the sight to the rear and the sight can then be lifted from the channel. It takes a little finagling but try NOT to force anything. Just keep wiggling and it'll come out. Don't lose the pin and spring that holds the sight in place when it comes apart.

If there isn't a hole under the front sight then it's the other style of simply pinned in. I always thought this style should be "classic" but far smarter minds than mine made the decision to call them otherwise. Brownells has punches, drills, pins and sights to assist in remove / replace. If the gun doesn't shoot to point of aim now is the time to adjust accordingly. Find the guns favorite load for what you want it to do and pick replacement sights accordingly. Dawson Precision has an excellent primer on front sight height. It's a simple job for any gunsmith if you're not comfortable with DIY.

I'm sure brighter minds will add to this but it's a foundation to start with. Good Luck!

Just don't try to use a 1/16" pin punch, as it will be too big. I never could find a punch of the correct size, so I make punches out of those little tiny eyeglass screwdrivers.

Do a search in the revolver sub-forum and you will find more detailed explanation of how to install the pinned front sights. It is not a terribly easy task to drill the sight tenon free-hand, and even after doing a whole bunch of them, I still screw one up every now and then. But you can't drill the sight while it's installed or you'll hog out the hole in the barrel.

thank guys... so after " checking twice...." there is a hole under the front sight as described <buckaroo> I tried to upload pictures but thats going to take some research on how to... anyway.. I will try to wiggle it out as stated.. let you know how it works in the AM.. thanks again JD

well just couldn't wait till the morning.. some of you must understand this obsession... LoL.. anyway thanks UFO... you were right it simply moved out under the spring tension.. however.. always something... the HIVIZ FO I was trying to install that reports to work on S&W revolvers was not "Notched" on the front and read ends and therefor cannot -- I think-- be installed as it won't have anything to secure it into the barrel.. I emailed HIVIZ and await for the "Customer Care Experience" we shall see.. I hope it was just a failure to pick out the correct version but I did look at the website and found no FO for S&W that were notched..and the saga continues.. will update.. thanks again guys you have been great.. JD

The sight you're trying to install is wrong for the gun you have. It is the "pinned in" style meaning it has to be drilled and held in place with a roll pin. Can't be used on your gun. You'll have to get the correct part. Sorry.