Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gettin' bumped to a suite in the hotel

Steve Anderson

bathroom and closet doors make excellent barricades.  mattress are nice to practice reloads over.  the wall pictures (acually the corners is what I aim at)  along with lamp shades are excellent "targets".  The chairs and desks are really accomidating.  

Can you tell I spend over 200 days a year in hotels?

You guys can actually take your pistolas with you on business?  

My last company (a very liberal tech firm based out of Boston) got wind that I was a competitve shooter and actually changed their "NO WEAPONS!!!" policy just for little old me.  If it wasn't so draconian, I'd have been flattered.

It went from not being able to having a gun at work, to not being able to have a gun at any time while on official company business.  I then decided that plane rides rental cars didn't seem very official to me.  :)

E

Work in the gun business, its almost mandatory for me to have something in the car, even picking up the kids from the baby sitter.

My first job, a loooong time ago was in a bank in the city centre. There were then 3 gunshops within walking distance of work. Eat luch on the move and spend as much time as possible in gunshop. Occaisionally head back to work with new toy. Usully wrapped in newspaper or a towel, I was to cheap to buy a bag. And then stuff it under the desk so the customers could not see it. A bit hairy getting it in a lunchtime as we all had to enter through the customer area. Got quite a few wierd looks, mainly from the staff. We NEVER got robbed all the 4 years I worked there though!!!.

Well, I don't carry the gun at work.  That's against the "rules".  But, when I travel, its usually for long periods (30-100 days at a time).  So, really, its not any different than taking a set of golf clubs.  As long as I don't bring it to my job on my person, they are (1) none the wiser, and (2) not in violation of any "policy".

I don't carry at work either.  

You guys have got see this policy.  I'll see if I can get it downloaded and posted it.  It's the most extensive one I've ever seen.  You could not have a gun in your car loaded or unloaded.  Your wife could not have a gun in her purse/trunk/whatever if all she did was drove to the front of the building to pick you up after work.  Even if the office was on *on leased property* the policy called that trespassing and it was grounds for termination.

The policy also included travelling while off premises in your car, the company's, or a rental.  Pretty wild stuff.  You won't believe it.

E

Eric,

What if a customer/client was an off duty cop? Who was required by his dept to carry at all times. What then?

I wonder if the Police turned up to arrest a trouble maker would the company require the officer to leave his weapon or weapons at the gate and jog over and slap the miscreant over the wrist with a damp bus ticket.

We don't have a constitution here, but I think yours has been given a good reaming at your work.

Good luck, I hope they pay well.

I work for two electronics companies owned by the same two guys.  One is very small (just me and a part time office person) and the other is about 150 people.  When I'm at the small company I bring my guns to work and do 20-30 minutes of dry fire each day.  I've got mini targets taped all over the walls.  I use the server rack for barricade practice.   I also sort brass, gage and mark my brass, clean guns, etc... at work.   When business was good they used to let me take paid days off for practice sessions and would pay me a little extra O.T. for travel expenses at matches.  Unfortunately now that business is slow I have a lot of unpaid time off for practice. Ick!    When I work at the bigger company they let me work on my guns out on the production floor, but I have to do my dry fire practice in a locked conference room.  

Do I have great bosses or what?

• 2 months later...