Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P16 40 Recoil Spring Question

AZGunut

Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat redundant question. I recently picked up a nicely set-up used Para P16 that I am going to use in IDPA to shoot ESP. I am currently using 135gr Ranier minor loads of a little under 130PF and when I am through with these am going to go with Flex's ZERO 180gr JHP load of 3.5gr of Titegroup. Now I am not sure of what spring is currently in the gun but I was going to order a ISMI 11# and 12.5# are even these too heavy for a 130PF load? Also should I or shouldn't I run a buff? Sorry if this is a old hashed question, but I read the facts and did a search and just found general info. Thanks ina dvance for any help you can give.

I run a 16# spring for both IPSC major loads and for poofter steel loads (4.1gr Titegroup, 180gr Montana Gold CMJ at 1.140) and the gun functions just fine. Steel loads drop the brass about 5 feet away in a small circle, IPSC loads a bit further away.

If I was going as low as your load I would go to a 14# and see how it played.

Buffs...what Danial97 said.

Hi guys and thanks for the quick replies. I will order a 14# and a 12.5# and see which one feels better. I do currently have a CP Buff in the gun and although it does feel fine, I cannot slingshot the slide and it is a old habit that is dying hard.

how much more often do we need to mention that recoil spring weight has a very small influence on cycle time (use the search function)??? And if any (I'll dig that one out), a lighter spring makes for faster cycling.

--D.

Detlef...it's been a while. Are you saying that, with a light spring, the slide will go back quicker, but close slower?

And, with a heavy spring, the slide will go back slower, but close more quickly.

Thus, the overall action of opening and closing takes about the same amount of time?