Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 231 40s&w load data rainier 180grain help

glock23guy

what kind of loads are you looking for; practice or for Production? with plated bullets I always end up having to use nearly the same powder charge I use with jacketed bullets. I'd suggest using the starting book loads for 165/180 grain jacketed bullets and go from there. FWIW I've used plated bullets at over 1100 fps in my 10mm G20 with good results.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Im new to reloading and i just want a safe load for having some fun the range. I have a couple reloading books but they dont have any loads for copper plated bullets. I ordered some 180grain rainiers today.

Dose 4.1 grains of 231with a 180gr rainier sound right for a starting load?

Thank you for your help

Really. Just start with what the books have for loads.

I just loaded some 180 gr. Berry flat point plated using hodgdon numbers.

4.4 gr Win 231 with a OAL of 1.125 for my G23. Haven't shot them yet though.

Greg

4.6gr should give you high 800fps but to be safe, start low and work your way up. 4.1 would be a good starting point and give you very mild loads if that is what you seek. With really light loads, you may want to look into a lighter recoil spring...

• 1 month later...

I load a 180 grain MG jhp at 5.0gr of wc 231 and get an average fps of 875. I found that less and slower was not as accurate. This is out of a Berreta 96 Vertec with a 4.6" barrel. It's a little snappier than clays or N320 but still very nice. 231 tends to burn dirty at the min end of the scale but much cleaner towards max.