Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much does a lighter hammer spring effect trigger pull weight?

jmbaccolyte

My Match's hammer (with the stock spring) seems to hit with more force than is necessary and I was wondering how much a lighter hammer spring would effect the trigger pull weight.

Also, if I remove the firing pin block and use Win primers, what weight hammer spring should I try first?

The hammer spring has little effect on SA pull weight, polishing internals, a CGW reduced power trigger return spring and light trigger plunger spring are much more effective. With the hammer spring you could go as light as 13# and you shouldn't have a problem although it will give the break a mushy feel. I run an 18# spring for a crisp break and a snap of the hammer.

The hammer spring has little effect on SA pull weight, polishing internals, a CGW reduced power trigger return spring and light trigger plunger spring are much more effective. With the hammer spring you could go as light as 13# and you shouldn't have a problem although it will give the break a mushy feel. I run an 18# spring for a crisp break and a snap of the hammer.

Are you using a stock firing pin or an extended one with the 13lb? I couldn't get CCI's to ignite with anything less than a 16 and the stock firing pin.

Edited by Nealio

How do you feel about that bvac ammo? Accurate? Reliable?

I fired roughly 2K of them before I started reloading and never had a compliant; super accurate with soft primers. Two years ago I was getting 9mm for 10¢/round and 40 for 13¢. The 40 is a little hot (180-185pf).

Good to hear. They're usually one of the cheapest on gunbot (nowhere near 10 cents a round, though!), so i was a bit leery. I think I'll give them a shot and buy some 147 gr for practice since i carry 147 for self defense.

Thanks. Is the 18# hammer spring the stock one?

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I have 3 Stock II's, I'm quite certain they come with a 16lb spring. With primers of normal hardness I run a 15lb and extended FP. But they are not good for more than 10.000 rounds then the spring needs replacing. With federal primers you can go down to 14lb. Haven't tried the 13lb.

By the way, if you want a really good crisp none-creep SA pull on the Stock II you need the old one-piece sear and the Xtreme hammer from Eric Grauffel.