Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to dimple 2011 slide stop lever

kamikaze1a

Researching how to add a dimple/detent to a 2011 slide stop lever. The most popular seems to be with a drill bit or file a notch across the face.

Though both methods probably are effective, what would be more "professional"? I was wondering about a small round end carbide burr? Or maybe start with a drill bit and finish with the burr?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips! I will clamp the stop between blocks of wood and then try a burr or bit first. How about a small stone bit to finish the dimple? A spinning stone might give a nicer finish than a carbide burr or drill bit?

I use the special tool that goes thru to plunger tube bore and trys to dimple to slide stop. (but you're right, it's too hard)

It serves only to mark to location for a center drill or ball mill when zeroed in my mill.

Researching how to add a dimple/detent to a 2011 slide stop lever. The most popular seems to be with a drill bit or file a notch across the face.

Though both methods probably are effective, what would be more "professional"? I was wondering about a small round end carbide burr? Or maybe start with a drill bit and finish with the burr?

Thanks!

Dremel tungsten carbide cutter

31K4Q31H6YL.jpg

slotted like so:

C8BF9503-60A0-40C2-A5B1-3A4A5740AB80-119

Edit to add: Sharpie is your friend, start high and work down.

Edited by wes777

I find various sizes of these at the metal supply house. I use various sizes. They are solid carbide, and will fracture if you bind them. I use them to feather super tight welds when doing finish work. I have also used them in the mill. They are tough enough to use in a die grinder, so I am not saying you can't use them. But I have bound them with a mill behind them and watched them come apart. Then again I am not often patient when doing production work, and I get impatient and things get broken. YMWBBTM. (You Mileage Will Be Better Than Mine)

I find various sizes of these at the metal supply house. I use various sizes. They are solid carbide, and will fracture if you bind them. I use them to feather super tight welds when doing finish work. I have also used them in the mill. They are tough enough to use in a die grinder, so I am not saying you can't use them. But I have bound them with a mill behind them and watched them come apart. Then again I am not often patient when doing production work, and I get impatient and things get broken. YMWBBTM. (You Mileage Will Be Better Than Mine)

does not require a mill, or much pressure. Dremel and 5 minutes. Mark it, take a little bit off and test. repeat until desired resistance is reached. As a side benefit. approaching it from the side (see picture) helps guide the slide stop into place.