Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solution for Chrony issues

I found the solution for not being able to shoot on sunny days. Wondering how there could be 400fps variation between sub MOA groups. Trusting it one day but not the next meaning i could never really trust it. Trying to test loads in small batches and half the shots show error messages. After almost 2 years of reading every suggestion of how to get the Shooting Chrony to work right I finally solved it!

I bought a ProChrono... For less money...

$94 delivered to my door from Amazon solved 2 years of frustration and questions. Sunny day? No problem, the recessed openings only allow light from above. Light diffuser doesnt pop off in 3 pieces from the muzzle blast. In 100 shots not a single error message. Testing 5 different loads from a variety of guns is childs play to keep the data separate and afterwards I can turn it off and review the results at home. I finally figured out what the "FU" button on the Chrony means! The user interface of the ProChrono is so simple I didn't say "FU" once, at least until I got back from the range and saw my shooting Chrony sitting in the corner.

For anyone considering a chronograph purchase, save yourself many headaches and grab the ProChrono. It will save you a ton of wasted time and possibly add years to your life from lack of frustration.

• 1 month later...

I too had frustrations using my Chrony (Alpha model). Measurements early in the day or in Winter were always subject to issues... sensitivity to blast was another (I measured the jet one time at 4700 fps! Way too close that time..), perfect alignment with the sensor and the projectile was a must, etc., etc.

My solution was to build a four sided box for the Chrony, to which I added the optional LED lights - both front and back are covered with paper (target in front /something like newspaper in the back). Results have been terrific - sunny days, low angle sun, sun in front /back, cloudy days, inside under flourescent lights (a nemesis for many chronographs and common to most indoor ranges), etc, I can measure my loads reliably. The only mistakes /missed measurements are when I am setting up and getting the gun aligned with both sensors (so that the projectile will pass over both) - I have since added reference guides that make this a no-brainer. I also use a blast shield (essentially a baffle with a vertical slit through which you shoot - looks weird but it works very well) for up close distances. I do have to mount the box on a stand now, instead of the tripod I was using, but that is a minor inconvenience.

But a new chronograph that alleviates the Shooting Chrony weaknesses is also a great solution - good to hear about the versatility of the ProChrono - this would have saved me a lot of confusion /frustration. Wil keep that in mind for future reference.