Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting your rifle - point of aim at 100 and 200m

Newbie rifle shooter question, so please forgive me.

I have little experiance of canting my rifle at any significant distance and observing the point of impact but think I have the basic understanding so wanted to do a sanity check.

If you cant your rifle at 45 degrees to the left (so the scope is to the left side of the vertical) my understanding is that the round will drop low and left of the point of aim, so the correct point of aim should be high right on the target.

Likewise if the rifle is canted 45 degrees to the right, with the scope the right side of the vertical the bullet will drop low right, so the correct point of aim is high left....

Please correct me if I am wrong here !!

If my rifle is zeroed at 200m and I am shooting a 10 inch flash target at 100m with a 45 degree cant I figure my cross hairs will be on the actual target at the 2 or 10 o'clock position depending on the left / right cant.

At 200m I figure my point of aim with a 45 degree cant would be on the edge of the target, or just off the edge ? left or right at 2 or 10 o'clock. Am I about right with this ?

What I dont know is where my point of aim should be with the rifle at 90 degrees left or right like on a car hood, at those distances.

I must admit I dont think I would cant my rifle at 90 degrees to the right on a hard surface as I forsee issues there, but may have to do it through an apature like a VTac or under a car etc !

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

You always aim towards your magazine and high. The reason being is your barrel is pointed slightly upwards when the gun is in a straight up and down position to allow the bullet to counter gravity. When you have the rifle canted it shoots the bullet off to the side the rifle is canted away from the magazine well and since the barrel is no longer pointed upward to counter gravity it will be shooting low. General rule of thumb for me is to aim at the left left area of the target at 100 yards if I have the rifle ejection port down at a 90 degree angle. Less angle less having to hold off.

Pat

I think I know what Pat said, but a tad confusing...

When canted at 90 degrees, the bullet will hit above your zero POA. It depends a little on the zero, but at 100 yards, with a 100 yard zero, it is a few inches. The bullet will also hit a little bit low of your zero POA.

So if the rifle is rolled ejection port down, the impact point will be right and low a few inches of your normal zero hold (aim high left on the target). If the election port is up, the impact point will be left and low a few inches of your normal zero hold (aim high right on the target).

With a 3000 fps 55 FMJ, 2.5" bore to scope offset and a 100 yard Zero, here is what you need to know. The absolute drop is about 2.5" at 100m and about 10" at 200m. So at 200m on a 10" round, to get a center hit, ejection port up (the way I prefer) you will need to hold about 5" above the top edge of the target and about 8" right of the edge of the target.

Sorry for the confusion. Here are some pictures. Orange dot is the point of aim. You can see where the bullets went. Range is 100 yards. Cant is 90 degrees. Ejection port down.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Noveske%20N4%20targets/Minitargetsideways.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Ok thanks Guys - that really helpful.

So I am kinda there, just need to get if fixed in my head. Alaska the photo really helps as my mind works that way !!

What zero did you have on the gun BTW ?

Mark, thats exactly the info I need mate, however my zero will be at 200m, how would that affect your data there ... ??

Its info like this that makes this website so great ...thanks !

Edited by mike.45

Mark, thats exactly the info I need mate, however my zero will be at 200m, how would that affect your data there ... ??

Moving to a 200m zero is going to affect the offset by another 7" or so. So on a 10" plate, you are going to have to hold one plate width off to get a center hit.

Ok thanks Guys - that really helpful.

So I am kinda there, just need to get if fixed in my head. Alaska the photo really helps as my mind works that way !!

What zero did you have on the gun BTW ?

Its info like this that makes this website so great ...thanks !

200 yard zero with 77 grain ammo at that time.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

simple rule of thumb i learned was to aim "high on the magazine side". if ejection port is down (and mag is sticking out on the left) then aim high left. if ejection port is up (and mag is sticking out on the right) then aim high right.