Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloads without powder

I often wonder if it is possible to stop the shot process in time when doing double taps. It is not like you are shooting single shots which you could safely stop in time. But, I believe double taps is a different story and that it is not possible to react in time.

Glad all is well with everyone.

Hmmmm, I have stopped at the sound of a squib. I believe you can stop.

I often wonder if it is possible to stop the shot process in time when doing double taps.

The squib stops the shot process for you; the slide won't cycle after a squib, the way you get in trouble is when you rack out the squib case and fire another behind it.

Yes but you need to know what a squib sounds like and stop yourself. RO may not have time to react.

Jim's post is spot on! When only the primer is present you may not always hear the very 'soft pop' of the primer. An attentive SO/RO with good electronic ears might, or the shooter if they are so equipped. But, most of the time you hear a 'click'. For trained shooters the immediate response to a 'click' is to assume a misfire, execute a tap & rack drill and continue.

If that is done, the only indication of a squib in the barrel will be if the shooter or SO/RO sees that the case being racked from the gun is empty, instead of being tipped with a bullet. If that is missed and the bullet has gone far enough into the barrel to allow a new round to be chambered, your KABOOM is only milliseconds away.

The same thing can happen to a revo if the shooter assumes a misfire and just 'pulls the trigger again'.

Loaded rounds without any powder can ruin your day.

The Rules in various games would seem to penalize a shooter who stops himself on a POSSIBLE squib, instead of having the SO/RO issue the stop. I have stopped myself twice (beating the SO to the call) but it was at a local club match where just about everybody on the squad was a MA/EX/SS IDPA SO.

I think the Rules, in the interest of safety, should allow the shooter to call the stop and receive a re-shoot, even if the round managed to get out of the barrel. If the shot 'doesn't sound right', and is significant enough for the shooter to call stop, I don't think the shooter should be penalized, even if the round made it down range.

Edited by GOF