Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to California for Match

BigLucky

I am traveling to California to shoot the California State Championships and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or warnings for traveling to the Peoples Republic of California with my Open Guns.

Also I am planning to ship my ammo ahead to my sister who lives there. Anyone know if that would be a problem?

Thanks,

Despite the wishful thinking of some who would have you believe otherwise, the exemption permitting bringing "Assault Weapons" into CA does *NOT* cover magazines > 10 rounds. Those are covered by a different CA law, and the only civilian exemption is for magazines personally posessed by the individual in California before the state level magazine ban.

Despite the wishful thinking of some who would have you believe otherwise, the exemption permitting bringing "Assault Weapons" into CA does *NOT* cover magazines > 10 rounds. Those are covered by a different CA law, and the only civilian exemption is for magazines personally posessed by the individual in California before the state level magazine ban.

Like Rob says, the exemption is for "Assault Weapons". You can bring 'em in for a match. Mags, however, are a different story. Do what you gotta.

According to the DOJ, however, a threaded barrel does not an assault weapon make. It's the "capable of accepting a flash hider" part that they care about, and a comp that's nice and tight on the barrel doesn't make it capable of accepting a flash hider and, so, your open gun is fine.

Big Lucky,

I sugegst you call the CA Dept of Justice/Firearms Divison, There are some exemptions to the law. Numbers are (916)227-3703

John

Thanks for all the usefull info. I will call the CA Dept of Justice that will be a great resource. Thanks for all the other constructive information.

Sorry about that..here are the most up to date numbers.

CA. D.O.J. Firearms Div

General Information (916) 263-4887

Firearm Dealer Licensing (916) 227-3694

Firearm Transaction Denials and Delays (916) 227-3749

Assault Weapon Registration and Special Weapon Permits (916) 227-3694

Firearms Division Fax Number (916) 227-3744

John