Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Grudge

BigDave

I've listening to The Grudge by Tool off of the Lateralus CD a lot over the past several days. I can't get over how amazing this song is and I've owned the CD since it came out in 2001. Lyrically, musically, and emotionally this is one of the finest moments in music that has ever graced my big ears and brain. The complexity and intelligence is staggering.

Saturn comes back around

lifts you up like a child

or drags you down like a stone

to consume you till you let this go.

Yeah, Tool is a bit heavy and often very, very dark. But, if you appreciate music for what it is, regardless of form, I think you will really enjoy this song and this CD. It is little wonder, to me, it takes them 5 years to put a CD out.

Nice post Dave. That song is truly outstanding. I still remember (and am getting chills thinking about it now) when I first plugged that CD into my van's stereo on the way home from the record shop. It was still about a minute from being over when I pulled into the driveway. I stopped the van (didn't turn off the stereo) and listened to the rest of the song in sheer amazement.... and walked to the house shaking my head in disbelief.

... Just a couple days ago bigJoni was stuck in her car for about an hour, waiting for her boyfriend at the doctor's office. Tools' Aenima was the only tape she had in the car, so she listened to the whole thing. Then later she came over and said she'd forgotten (hasn't listened to them in a few years) just how absolutely amazing of a band they are.

They're one of the few bands in the last decade that truly taken music to a whole new level. They're doing stuff nobody else is doing.

be

They're one of the few bands in the last decade that truly taken music to a whole new level. They're doing stuff nobody else is doing.

be

That is one reason why I think I enjoy them so very much. It isn't that guitars, drums and good vocals are anything new. But, somehow, that foursome crafts it into something truely amazing to my ears. There is an honesty involved that is compelling. I realize that it,in the end, is only music, but it isn't like anything else.

Yeah, I got ya on the tingles. The Scream, as it has become known in some Tool circles, in that song puts my hair on end.

Just picked up the new CD last night on the way home.

Very cool covers of some old songs. Maynard's voice is better than ever. I still miss the bass style of Paz. The selection of songs to cover goes well with the band and how they play together.

I dont think its better than Mer de Noms or Thirteenth Step, but worth buying. Covers dont bother me at all, the last Rush CD and Garage Days are great examples of how a cover album should be done.

I wont say anything about the political aspects of this CD. I take the music for what it is, good music.

I hope Tool starts putting out music again soon. Its been a while since Lateralus.

I hope Tool starts putting out music again soon. Its been a while since Lateralus.

Opiate - 1992

Undertow - 1993 (+1 year)

AEnima - 1996 (+3 years)

Lateralus - 2001 (+5 years)

...at this rate the next Tool album comes out in 2008! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Reportedly, a new Tool album is in the works.... at least, according to Kabir at t.d.n. It can't come out too soon - but....... :)

There's definitely a certain chemistry to Tool. The right combination of elements that makes the whole greater than the parts. If you listen closely, you'll hear that the individual parts aren't necessarily all that complicated, but they all work together to make a full, complex tapestry. I've always loved that about them. Well, the drums parts are pretty hairy sometimes....

I appreciated Tool even more when I sat down at my drum kit and started figuring things out. Imagine if you could somehow be in one of the top GM's heads while they shoot a stage in record breaking fashion, feel what they feel, see what they see. Very neat experience. Danny Carey is on a completely different plane.....

Yeah, I like that band.... :)

Dave