Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian magazine question

Loki999

Hi,

I’m posting this for a shootingbuddy of mine, he bought a used Caspian open gun in .38 super comp. Build by a competent gunsmith.

The set up is for .38 super comp, he changed the extractor to be able to shoot .38 super. I think he did ok and the case is pulled out every time.

He keeps getting feeding jams, the round dips in the magazine. He has a jam and the round has moved a little out of the magazine and is stuck on the lower part of the feedramp.

When having the magazine in hand, trying to push out the rounds with my thumb the round gets stuck sometimes. Between the feedinglips.

Is this because Caspian has dedicated rimless magazines? Or are you able to shoot .38 super and super comp from the same magazine?

Best regards Patrick

Supercomp feeds more reliably thru any double stack mag than super

This is because the semi rim of the super case gets hung up in the extractor groove of the case below it in the mag

The original caspians mag was marked 38 super/9mm, the supercomp brass was not invented yet, so no the mag was not set up for a rimless case

On the feeding problems, because it's harder to strip a super case out of the mag, you might have to go with a stronger recoil spring

Say in the 9-10lbs range, also unlike sti that likes ammo loaded short, the caspians like the ammo loaded longer, around 1.260

Do you know which Caspian Mags he is using - The old version (holds 19 rounds, has a slide on basepad usually), or the new version (holds 21+ rounds, has a quick change base pad).

The old versions are generally pretty reliable with either a super or a super rimless variant with minimal tuning, usually just making sure the feed lips are true and spaced correctly. The new ones need to be tuned to reliably eliminate the nose dives with either rimless or semi-rimmed cases.

I run .38 super (semi-rimmed) in caspians successfully using the new style. Never had any issue with either .38 super or 9mm in the old style.

Here are a couple of threads about caspian mags.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118831&page=2&hl=caspian+mag#entry1800463

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161103&hl=caspian+mag#entry1799837

Also, the MecGar large frame Tanfo mags can be trimmed to fit and used in the Caspian and they work very well.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164432&hl=caspian+mag#

Lastly, doing a search for caspian mags will probably yield more result.

Good luck and post back if your friend needs any more info.

Edit to add:

The OAL of the round should be looked at too. I've found that for MG 115/124 grain FMJ/CMJ bullets 1.250" is good, for the MG 115/124 grain JHP bullets 1.235" is best.

Edited by Bamboo

Let a competent gunsmit make the frame fitted for SV or STI magazines

That's the way to do it.......................

While certainly possible this is not necessary ( the only smith I know who does that is limcat, and I believe he only does it on new gun builds). The caspian system was designed to feed 38 super/9mm, the mags (at least the original ones I have) are so marked. For the new style mags Bamboo's advice is good.

Let a competent gunsmit make the frame fitted for SV or STI magazines

That's the way to do it.......................

And requires way more work than the gun is worth.

Jim Anglin is the master at tuning Caspian mags. Get in touch with him.