Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Currently I shoot USPSA Limited and use a DAA Racemaster holster. In a few weeks I will shooting my first 3-gun match, thanks to some shooters I have met that are loaning me a shotgun and caddies. However my local club uses the FNH multi-gun rules and if I read it correctly for the Tac Scoped division my holster is no good.

Am I right, or am I misunderstanding something?

I read it the same as you---FNH rules require a "tactical/carry" style holster for Tactical. That's why my STI has a Bladetech WRS for 3-Gun and a CR Speed for USPSA

I assume you are (or soon will be) shooting at PNTC, given your location. Feel free to find me at a match if you have any questions. PM me if you want contact info. Good luck!

Edited by CJW

I read it the same as you---FNH rules require a "tactical/carry" style holster for Tactical. That's why my STI has a Bladetech WRS for 3-Gun and a CR Speed for USPSA

I assume you are (or soon will be) shooting at PNTC, given your location. Feel free to find me at a match if you have any questions. PM me if you want contact info. Good luck!

Indeed it will be at PNTC, in fact if you are who I think you are I will be seeing you this Saturday. If your shooting the USPSA match that is.

Another question I have is from about rule 5.3.1 - Firearms must be of a factory configuration. Prototype firearms are specifically prohibited. Internal modifications are permitted providing they do not alter the external appearance of the firearm."

A magwell is defiantly an external mod, so does that mean I can't have a magwell on my XDm for 3-gun?

I will be shooting my first 3gun match at PNTC in july, but have been to a few to watch. It seems all of the rules your are talking about have not been enforced or maybe they are new. If I need to order a new hostler now would be a good time to do it.

Does that rule mean the holster needs to have a hood on it or just look the part of "tactical"?

usmc, the hood is not required. A lot of folks do go with retention style holsters, though, because at a big match you don't want to eat the cost of the match fee, travel, and ammo by having your pistol go "free range" while you are running or diving prone.

While I have not seen any sort of strict equipment inspection at any FNH rules match, my assumption is that the rules simply disallow "race", i.e., open (trigger guard only) holsters, and you need something with a regular holster body. You are right that PNTC local matches haven't gotten strict about enforcing the FNH rules yet, but at the last match the MD said something to the effect of letting people know what the rules are so they have time to prepare for them being enforced in the near future.

And Iggy, pretty much anything that you can run in USPSA Limited will work for a 3-Gun Tactical pistol. Lots of folks run magwells. If the FNH rules are meant to be more strict than that, I hope Larry Houck will cover that in the FNH match thread. Besides, my STI came from the factory with a jet funnel! :goof:

And Iggy, pretty much anything that you can run in USPSA Limited will work for a 3-Gun Tactical pistol. Lots of folks run magwells. If the FNH rules are meant to be more strict than that, I hope Larry Houck will cover that in the FNH match thread. Besides, my STI came from the factory with a jet funnel! :goof:

That was what I thought, but I could see an argument that an STI comes with a magwell so its still factory original, but my XDm didn't. Course that would mean bad news to the Glock people too that I have seen. After being told I mis-read the IDPA rulebook I wanted to be sure I was good for 3-gun. I admit I want an STI, but some other things need to come first.

Jesse is dead on. A good duty style kydex holster that has positive retention and protects your gun is paramount in big open terrain matches. I have seen several shooters get up from a shooting position and leave their handgun on the deck. Dairy Queen city.

I've seen shooters drop guns from locked race holsters. In particular the CR Speed. Including one guy who was telling me it couldn't come out. He smacked the butt a couple times and the last smack the gun popped out. But I've also seen them come out of BladeTech holsters. The tension was backed way off and the holster was basically a bucket. I run a Safariland ALS for three gun and love it. When others were getting DQd at the Texas MG for dropped guns I didn't worry about mine (should have worried about my shotgun safety though).

+1 on the ALS I have one for my Glock 34 that I love. It has the hood also but is not really needed as the ALS is a positive retention. I wish they would make one for the 6inch 2011 though. I do have a Gcode holster with the hood ordered for the 6inch sti as I would like to try it out and run that for 3 gun as I shoot it a little better than my glock. With the retention, I have never worried about loosing my pistol.