Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying used / what to check?

mike g35

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking at buying a used 2011 open gun and I'm just wondering what I should look for to tell if they're worth the cash or not. Anything I should check that could be a deal breaker? I'm definitely buying next week, I've got 3 different guns I'm looking at right now, and I want to get the most for my money. Thanks.

Look at overall condition, check barrel wear/build up, check for cracks in slide, frame and grip (had issues with that one), check tightness slide to frame, check compensator wear/ damage. make sure the optics are in good shape and the mount is tight. Make sure the trigger feels good and all of the safeties work. Definitely shoot it. Others may have more suggestions. (If you can get a reputable gunsmith to check it out that would be good too.)

Look at how it locks up. Check the upper lugs on the barrel and slide. You don't want to see any peening or "flanging". Make sure that the bottom lug is making good contact with the frame at the VIS and it is not stopping on the link. Check that the comp and slide are not touching each other when the pistol cycles. Plus what the others have said.

What would you guys consider an acceptable round count? 10-12k too many? I've heard yes and no on this. I personally think that round count is less important than condition. If the barrel and the overall gun is in good shape then the round count doesn't seem like it'd be that important.

If the gun is in good shape round count is not that important. Lower is generally better, however there are guns with close to 100k run through them that still run (they may be close to or need a new barrel though). YMMV

If the gun is in good shape round count is not that important. Lower is generally better, however there are guns with close to 100k run through them that still run (they may be close to or need a new barrel though). YMMV

One of my older open guns has close to 100K rounds through it and it still locks up tight and no cracks anywhere. Most of the rounds were major back when the minimum PF was 175.

At around 75,000 rds the accuracy started to drop off. With a new barrel and updated comp, it would keep up with most of the other open guns out there.

Bill