Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1x3/4/5/6 Scope under $400 2-3 Gun out to 500on AR

CocoBolo

The TAC30 is decent, but the switch is a bit of a pain. The MTAC is definitely a step up and worth stretching the budget.

The Optisan 1-4X Mamba looks interesting. Maybe worth trying if you can find a cat-tail/throw lever for it.

The Vortex mount also looks great at ~$90, with it's only downfall being that it's made in China (hard to find a good mount under $180 that isn't though).

The PST line is not made in China. Its made in the Philippines. Only the cheap Vortex scopes are made in China. The high end Razors are made in Japan.

Pat

Pat, I was speaking specifically of just the mounts, not the optics.

The TAC30 is decent, but the switch is a bit of a pain. The MTAC is definitely a step up and worth stretching the budget.

The Optisan 1-4X Mamba looks interesting. Maybe worth trying if you can find a cat-tail/throw lever for it.

The Vortex mount also looks great at ~$90, with it's only downfall being that it's made in China (hard to find a good mount under $180 that isn't though).

The PST line is not made in China. Its made in the Philippines. Only the cheap Vortex scopes are made in China. The high end Razors are made in Japan.

Pat

Pat, I was speaking specifically of just the mounts, not the optics.

Sorry misunderstood you.

Pat

Actually mine came out to $402.74. Considering it is $200 less than the PST with the QD mount, I caved in and ordered one, happy fathers day to me. If it don't work out I'll keep the mount and sell the scope.

From Optics Planet, with mount? Current price shows $479.99, with the 10% off thats ~$432?

Just curious, as this thread has me interested in one as well. Not a real fan of the PEPR mount looks though. Anybody have other suggestions? QD isn't important for me.

THE pricing is when you select the combo, mine was $402.74. I never thought about the mount as a fashion accessory. The PERP 1" I have the weaver on is rock solid, but not QD, and I know you will lose Zero with an on and off. I like the rail on top I mounted the new Weaver Mini red dot on it. Will do the same with the new one. I also use that rail for a flashlight for night matches.

Get the Larue mount, it looks a lot better since everyone knows it cost twice as much or American Defense.

So Ron, how do you like it? Like you I upgraded from a Weaver 1x3 to the MTAC.

Got the MTAC + PEPR + Fastfire II combo for father's day. Also picked up the G&G 45 mount for the Fastfire.

My opinion, its a big step up.

Bill

Bill it should be here in a few days. I'll let you know. Thanks Ron

THE pricing is when you select the combo, mine was $402.74. I never thought about the mount as a fashion accessory. The PERP 1" I have the weaver on is rock solid, but not QD, and I know you will lose Zero with an on and off. I like the rail on top I mounted the new Weaver Mini red dot on it. Will do the same with the new one. I also use that rail for a flashlight for night matches.

Get the Larue mount, it looks a lot better since everyone knows it cost twice as much or American Defense.

I priced it as a combo and it only got the $432 price

So I hit up the local Sportsmans Warehouse to actually look through both the Tac30 and the MTAC. My vision of what the reticle would be was way off. The whole thing is more or less a red spot on 1x, and on 4x it's still pretty small. Everyone is spot on regarding the illumination switch on the Tac30. I don't know if I could get used to the reticle or not after years of traditional crosshairs.

As for a mount, Larue or ADM are nice, but at 2 bills give or take it wouldn't make sense to pair one of them with the budget scopes discussed in this thread. I was thinking more along the lines of the SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount or the Vortex Cantilever 30mm Ring Mount both less than $100. I shoot Tac Ops so the option to mount a red dot isn't important.

I just got the MTAC but kinda wish I would have got the Vortex...

After reading this thread, I was seriously considering an MTAC. After looking through it at the store, I'm thinking I'll keep saving my lunch money for the Vortex.

Edited by fishsticks

I'm sure some will consider this blasphemy, but as long as you don't go super cheap,rings are rings. Sure if you want a QD mount that comes back to zero every time, go with American or Larue.

I've got guns in my safe that have had the same scope for over 30 years. I don't need no QD mounts.

So if you are like me, any good solid set of rings that mount the scope where I need it will be just fine.

Bill

So I hit up the local Sportsmans Warehouse to actually look through both the Tac30 and the MTAC. My vision of what the reticle would be was way off. The whole thing is more or less a red spot on 1x, and on 4x it's still pretty small. Everyone is spot on regarding the illumination switch on the Tac30. I don't know if I could get used to the reticle or not after years of traditional crosshairs.

As for a mount, Larue or ADM are nice, but at 2 bills give or take it wouldn't make sense to pair one of them with the budget scopes discussed in this thread. I was thinking more along the lines of the SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount or the Vortex Cantilever 30mm Ring Mount both less than $100. I shoot Tac Ops so the option to mount a red dot isn't important.

I just got the MTAC but kinda wish I would have got the Vortex...

After reading this thread, I was seriously considering an MTAC. After looking through it at the store, I'm thinking I'll keep saving my lunch money for the Vortex.

I've shot cross hairs only for about 50+ years, hit some long important shots, but shooting 2-3gun as I stated it only seems to be effective at the Zero range, I had a 300 yard zero I tore up the 300 yard targets, shooting 200 yards aiming at the dirt infront of the targets took a long time. I got a kick out of the spotter telling me bark was flying off the tree behind the 600 yard targets. Also aiming at the bottom of 100 yard targets takes time, you throw up on the center then think and move down. So I'm giving this gaggel of dots a whirl. 50 yd and under was point and shoot, but running an EO Tech on another rifle double shooting the same match was faster and better out to 200 yards where it was Zeroed. (compared to cross hairs).

MTAC and mount arrived. I picked it up and looked thru it and as I suspected with my fixed long distance "internal" lens I couldn't see the recticle dots. I started to just put it back in the box and send it back, then I started playing with the focus ring and found turning it counter clock wise I was able to see the recticle clearly without reading glasses.

I'm going to try it out on my backup Rifle, a new 20" gun I just built, that currently has an EO Tech, since it shoots the light weight bullets better than my 18" gun. By the time bullets are back in stock and on clearance I'll switch it out.

The glass seems to be a bit better than the Weaver, with a little more light in 4x, and when you light it up, it should be good on the short range shots, the recticle jumps out at you, aka in your face.