Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first dillon having problems setting up taper crimp on 45acp

i just got my first progressive press and im trying to get it set up

xl650 with dillon dies

i have everything set up and ran some range brass threw it a few times checking measurement till i got it dialed in. but i cant seem to get the crimp to work. not sure if i have to much bell or if the crimp die is bad.

my bell/ flare measures .475-.476 i follow dillon intruction to lower the handle and screw the die down till you feel it touching the anohter 1/2 turn well i do this and it make no difference flare is still there. i have turned it down about 5 complete turns i believe and it only crimps to ..473 - .474 and you can still feel the flare with your fingers . plus when you try and raise the handle the case is tight in the die and is flexing the shell plate.

what im i doing wrong ive been reloading on the single stage lee press with lee dies and never had this sort of problem .

Another member here had the same issue with a 45 Dillon crimp die. Turned out to be a bad die and Dillon replaced it. If you have a different crimp die from your single stage, try it and see if that fixes it. Either way, Dillon will set it right. Welcome to the Forums.

Welcome to the forums!

Can you feel the crimp die when you run a single case through the 650? Sounds like it might be setup incorrectly or might be a bad crimp die. Are you using the Lee factory crimp die in station 5? I actually use all Lee dies in my 650.

using brand new dillon dies. no i do not feel the crimp die unless i have it cranked way down then the die gets a real firm grip on the case and take a fair amount of a pull on the handle to get it to release and when it does you can hear the shell plate pop up and flex and you can see it. this isnt present on any other station ... im thinking the die is milled to loose because where i have it almost all the way screwed into the toolhead maybe 1 or 2 thread above the locking jam nut on the die. while setting the dies up im running it as a turret press one piece of brass at a time to get a good feel of the press and what each spot feels like. everything else is silky smooth .

never tried my lee factory crimp die. i figured i would ask to see if it sound like i was doing something wrong. will email or call dillon tomorrow and see what they say. i know one thing dillon seating die is pretty cool that it has two side for swc or rn which is nice. overall it very nice just bummed out having problem so close to getting it up and running.

thanks for the suggestions. i try the lee fcd tomorrow which im sure will work as it should ...

The turret press has an entirely different feel. When I loaded 9mm on it, it was smooth, when I loaded 45 on it, it was a bit rough. The Dillon is super smooth. I have the Lee Decapping/resizing die in station 1, the Bullet seating die in station 4 and the factory crimp die in station 5. smooth as silk

I'll echo what atbarr says above: with pistol you only need to bell enough to seat the bullet. At first I was belling exactly to the measurement in the instructions which was WAY too much. Just bell it enough so you can place the bullet easily without it falling out..doesn't take much.