Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting down / trimming CR Speed Belt

So I have a couple of enormous CR Speed belts (purchased them from someone going out of business) that I need to cut down. I suspect that a good set of kitchen sheers and a lighter may do the trick, but want to see if anyone can confirm that. Also, is it possible to sew off the end or perhaps take it to a shoe repair store?

No need to bother with the shop, though I'm sure they can do it. I've lost a bunch of weight since I got my belt and have cut it down multiple times. I just used household scissors and held a lighter to the end. Don't let the flame touch it (the same way you do a fiber sight) just let the heat melt the ends. Mine has never frayed after that since there's no actual pulling on that part of the belt. If it ever did, 3 seconds with a lighter.

No need to bother with the shop, though I'm sure they can do it. I've lost a bunch of weight since I got my belt and have cut it down multiple times. I just used household scissors and held a lighter to the end. Don't let the flame touch it (the same way you do a fiber sight) just let the heat melt the ends. Mine has never frayed after that since there's no actual pulling on that part of the belt. If it ever did, 3 seconds with a lighter.

I might have to give this a try. I've got an old belt that's to small for me but to large for my son and he's about to outgrow his current homemade belt.

I'm not sure what tools you have available but I cut the straps from my tree stand safety harness (think seat belt) with a flat blade tip on a soldering iron.

I think I have a $10-15 Weller from Lowes.

It's slow but produces a nice clean edge.

I might add.... Whatever method you go with be sure to cut it longer than required first as a practice. Don't wanna cut it wrong the first time and stuck with a jacked up belt that can't be fixed because its at its minimum length.

Thanks for the response all. I already have a properly sized belt, so I just need to replicate the length. So cutting and melting it seems like the best way to go.

Is there a separate kydex or plastic layer inside that could still slide between the nylon layers on the outside? I was thinking of sewing it for that reason, not to prevent fraying.

There is actualy a special pair of scissors made just for that, they are electric and seal the end as they cut.

I have also dropped belts off at the Kobbler and for $6 you get a professional job.

Edited by yakstone