Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing Single Action Pull/Break Weight?

Magsz

Hey guys,

Quick question.

Ive been futzing around my trigger setups in my Shadow Target and it seems as though i am going in the wrong direction here.

From the factory my double action pull weight was 7.5 lbs with my single being 3.18 with at least a pound of that being in the single action pre travel which i liked.

I have installed a Cajun Gunworks light trigger spring and while my double action pull has been reduced somewhat, my single action pull has been as well...to the point where i am feeling uncomfortable with how light this trigger is.

Personally, i like a high 3's to low 4 pound trigger press and i prefer initial takeup, ie some trigger spring resistance prior to the sear tripping and letting go.

I know that it is a balancing act between acceptable double action and single action but is there any way to increase the actual break weight of the trigger by adjusting the sear/hammer?

Im THINKING that i may accomplish my chosen goals by removing the CGW light trigger spring and trying an extended firing pin/spring combo with an 11.5 lb mainspring but i fear light strikes. The only way to figure that one out will be to simply give it a whirl.

For comparison sake, can anyone say, via rough estimate how much of a difference in poundage one should expect between the 13 pound mainspring and the 11.5 in double action?

So my line of thinking is wrong?

Ie, going to an 11.5 mainspring, stock trigger return spring will NOT increase my pull weight versus the 13 pound mainspring and light TRS?

From what ive been told, the mainspring has very little affect on your single action pull weight and that the difference in weight that i am experiencing is from the pre travel weight being taken out of the equation by way of the light TRS.

From what I've seen, what you are thinking of doing would work. Dropping from 13# main spring to a 11.5# only decreases my DA, reduced my SA by .1# if that. This is all with the stock TRS.

Since we are talking about the TRS, how much is that supposed to reduce DA and SA by?

In SA mode the CZ75 sear spring has the biggest effect. Buy spares then widen out the leg spacing on the sear spring. I would leave the Cajun return spring in there, it has the biggest effect in DA mode. Leave the mainspring alone unless you commit to Fed 100 primers.

Edited by eric nielsen

11.5 # mainspring and the stock TRS will do what you are looking for. The 11.5# spring should reduce the pull weight by 1 -1.5 pounds. W/extended firing pin you should be able to break everything but Tula. Watch your seating depth, primers must be below flush.

Eric,

Would you mind elaborating a bit on how to modify the sear spring leg? Id rather not create an unsafe gun so id like to have a general idea of what i need to do prior to monkeying around with the sear cage.

I am going to order some more springs and play around with some different setups. Thanks for the help guys!

Any other suggestions on how to increase the single action break weight? Yes, i am aware of the fact that i am probably the only ass on here asking a question like this. :)

Eric,

Would you mind elaborating a bit on how to modify the sear spring leg? Id rather not create an unsafe gun so id like to have a general idea of what i need to do prior to monkeying around with the sear cage.

I am going to order some more springs and play around with some different setups. Thanks for the help guys!

Any other suggestions on how to increase the single action break weight? Yes, i am aware of the fact that i am probably the only ass on here asking a question like this. :)

First try the path least resistance and take out the CJW TRS and go with a 11.5# main spring with extended firing pin. And I agree, you are a rare breed that actually wants to increase his trigger weight pull!