Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The "Kosh" Range journel

kosh79

Well Lets see if i start one of these things and can keep it going.

First a little about my shooting in the past.

I have shot 3 gun for a number of years, and since moving to Columbia, Sc last Sept I started shooting USPSA. There were no 3 gun matches in the area and i loved to compete and shoot. I have shot long range matches as well but again nothing in the area.

So i decided to shoot USPSA, for a few reason. Get more experience with pistol shooting, since it was my ultimate weakness in 3 gun. And to keep compteting in the shooting sports.

Well come to find out I love USPSA. So here I am in this cross roads where it has actually become apart of my life to the point of addiction.

I started shooting in Limited with a G17 nothing special didnt know the rules to well but i know i didnt want to reload every 10 seconds.

I started upgrading the gun and kept shooting and eventually it just wasnt the gun for me. I didnt like much about it the way I had it configured and i especially didnt like the fact of shooting minor PF in limited. I moved to an STI Edge and things fell into place. Love the gun and how it shoots now

Although the begining I thought I had made a terrible mistake the gun was not running at all jam jam jam every match. It took me a bit to grasp the concept of tuning the gun and mags. Did some research tuned a few things got stuff running and night and day difference. As the matches continued I started getting better but was still a C class in Limited. I never practiced no dryfire, trip[s to the range were just shoot a target, nothing. I started getting more involved with the sport learning the ins and outs from more experienced shooters locally, and on here and started to piece together things and all of a sudden, I got it. It just clicked one match. I started to get better in Limited After about 4 months. Jan 13 was when it started to come together and after I started to get better at it I started practicing more. In March I bought a Trubor. I wanted to see about shooting open class and see if I could do it and be competitive and enjoy it before i decided to go full tilt and build a custom. After 3 matches of getting my butt kicked all over the place by my own lack of skill and gun malfunctions it clicked. I was able to shoot some classifiers and get decent ratings and shot the Sc sectional in may. May I made B class in open and limited. After that I practiced harder and started shooting alot better I still make those silly mistakes new shooters do occasionally.

In the last couple weeks I have started placing top 3 against some great shooters, and plan to conitue shooting open and limited. As much as I love shooting limited, open seems to have its hooks in me and I dont forsee giving that up.

Well went a nice little 3 Gun match today,

First stage went ok not great, but the second stage now that was a horrible horrible stage.

It was the first stage using a pistol. Some how someway my dot was about a foot off from last weekends match. Got me a big fat DQ for skipping a round off a prop hood. Fml only thing I could thing of was I jarred the Cmore some how. Back to the house to figure things out and get set for next weekends USPSA.

Went to the range today to recon firm my zero and as my dq had proven 16" low at 10 yds wtf guess I have to keep a closer eye on that Cmore.

Got the gun back to zeroed at at 30 yards again. Consistent groups off a rest.

Mg 115 9.6gr hs6 @ 1.165 col and sr

Still favored load over all else.

Time to clean, mark my Cmore for future reference.

Nice to hear of one who sees the road smoothing out before him. Gives me hope my journey may be similar.

16" at 10yds. When things go wrong, they really go wrong!

Best to'ya,

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Yeah no kidding. Things definately went wrong.

Shit happens though and since its been corrected I marked the adjustment screws and the locking screws. Ill be paying a lot of attention to them from now on.

Ran some drills tonight.

Draw, acquire, first shot on target just the basics then moved on to gun robots power point drill he made. I absolutely love using that on the tv. Wife always looks at me funny and laughs at me. The boy picks my mags up for me, what a trooper.

Recently he started sitting in the gun room with me either watching tv or wanting to work the press.

Really need to get on the ball with cleaning th AR this week. My buddy used it for last weeks 3 gun after I got dq'd.

Well its the weekend again. Got 2 matches this weekend to shoot. 3 gun Saturday at Pinetucky GC and a USPSA on Sunday at Statesville. Need to get off work early enough today to get some dryfire in and then put together more bullets

for the rifle and pistol for the 3 gun. 9 major is all covered and ready to go for sunday. I suppose I will take the Open gun out tomorrow as well and make sure Im still zeroed :P for sunday.

Shot a 3 gun today. It's very apparent I don't practice enough with a rifle! Good match though.

Got a chance to fine tune the zero on my open gun for tomorow and got a nice little laser to do a check at the house before a match for piece of mind.

Walked the stages for the match a few minutes ago. This is my type of setup. A lot of run and gun with a touch of technical in it. Feeling pretty good about today. Ill post the match video when I get home tonight let y'all pick me apart.

Note to self: stop forgetting shit at the house ass hole! Now ya have to stand in the blazing hot sun all day!

Todays classifier http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-46.pdf

Edited by kosh79

Would have gotten on here last night to go over the match but after getting home I was entirely too tired. The name of the game for yesterday's match blow thru it as fast as I possibly could.

I know where my accuracy stands on a normal day so I really wanted to push the envelope.

I ended up scoring no where close to what I normally do so now that I know where I sit when going as fast as possible I can meter my future matches from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjP3Gx6GhS4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hOmpJGPhQ

Edited by kosh79

Nice job dude, you hosed that texas star! Damn...Lots of shooting for the weekend...dont know if we can catch you! Didn't go to Southport, my buddy cancelled and I chose to stay home with the wife. It's all good. You shooting Sparta this weekend?

Well Lets see if i start one of these things and can keep it going.

First a little about my shooting in the past.

I have shot 3 gun for a number of years, and since moving to Columbia, Sc last Sept I started shooting USPSA. There were no 3 gun matches in the area and i loved to compete and shoot. I have shot long range matches as well but again nothing in the area.

So i decided to shoot USPSA, for a few reason. Get more experience with pistol shooting, since it was my ultimate weakness in 3 gun. And to keep compteting in the shooting sports.

Well come to find out I love USPSA. So here I am in this cross roads where it has actually become apart of my life to the point of addiction.

I started shooting in Limited with a G17 nothing special didnt know the rules to well but i know i didnt want to reload every 10 seconds.

I started upgrading the gun and kept shooting and eventually it just wasnt the gun for me. I didnt like much about it the way I had it configured and i especially didnt like the fact of shooting minor PF in limited. I moved to an STI Edge and things fell into place. Love the gun and how it shoots now

Although the begining I thought I had made a terrible mistake the gun was not running at all jam jam jam every match. It took me a bit to grasp the concept of tuning the gun and mags. Did some research tuned a few things got stuff running and night and day difference. As the matches continued I started getting better but was still a C class in Limited. I never practiced no dryfire, trip[s to the range were just shoot a target, nothing. I started getting more involved with the sport learning the ins and outs from more experienced shooters locally, and on here and started to piece together things and all of a sudden, I got it. It just clicked one match. I started to get better in Limited After about 4 months. Jan 13 was when it started to come together and after I started to get better at it I started practicing more. In March I bought a Trubor. I wanted to see about shooting open class and see if I could do it and be competitive and enjoy it before i decided to go full tilt and build a custom. After 3 matches of getting my butt kicked all over the place by my own lack of skill and gun malfunctions it clicked. I was able to shoot some classifiers and get decent ratings and shot the Sc sectional in may. May I made B class in open and limited. After that I practiced harder and started shooting alot better I still make those silly mistakes new shooters do occasionally.

In the last couple weeks I have started placing top 3 against some great shooters, and plan to conitue shooting open and limited. As much as I love shooting limited, open seems to have its hooks in me and I dont forsee giving that up.

And it has been said before, the only difference between a Master level shooter and a "B" level is consistency which comes with time...so stay at it!!!

Well another weekend, another match.

Goals for tomorow: watch my pace, stay on the dot and, shoot clean.

I ran 3 30 min dryfire sessions this week with a timer and a few 1/4 size ipsc targets I got, and a few power point dryfire drills on the PC. I ran in both limited and open. My draw from normal positions have gotten a lot better, and a lot faster on dot acquisition reducing times substantially.

Every week I tell myself I'm going to shoot limited but end up just shooting a classifier in limited. August I am sending my Trubor slide off to get lightened up and am contemplating having some popples done as well, doubt ill do popples till its time to replace the barrel and comp though.

Off to Drill Sgt school in July so shooting will be severely restricted ill just have to keep my focus and shoot whenever I get a chance.

Updates tomorow with videos on how it went.

Match went very well today. I slowed down just a touch from last weekend. Shooting was much more consistent split times weren't bad and transitions have been a lot smoother since starting to look at the target first then bring the pistol to the target instead of keeping my eyes on the dot and moving eyes and gun to the target.
All in all had shot a great match. The first stage jitters did get me a touch though as soon as that buzzer went off mind went blank. I shot a no shoot but made it up. Then I drive my gun so far into the port for no reason. Got out of order on a few poppers and activators and time was about 6 seconds off what I felt it should have been.
After that first stage everything fell into place nicely and shot clean the rest of the match.

and the kosh takes his first Open/overall win just saw the results!

Edited by kosh79

Weeks just flying too bad I'm not shooting a match this weekend. Sticking to the normal dryfire drills this week. And Saturday morning I'm gonna hit the range up and burn thru a few hundred rounds in the trubor and the edge. Trying decide how I want to practice though. Any ideas?

So did the dot torture test a few times today at the range with the edge and the trubor. I shot it 3 times at 7 yds with each gun.

Incase ya want know what it is

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf

So I ended up only scoring 35 as the highest with the trubor and I was like a little wtf I'm better than this. Come home low and behold safety on the trubor is broken. Not to big a deal but a little dumb founded by that.

null_zps1f90ffc7.jpg

So I decide to finally completely disable the gun replace the grip with another and clean everything nice and go over it make sure everything is good to go. The scope mount screws came loose as well. I wonder how long it's been that way.

Well new grip, mount screwed down and added some locktite, replaced the safety and now I need to rezero and check everything again for next Saturdays match.

null_zps05dbb20d.jpg

Edited by kosh79

Despite the weather all week of rain here in the great south, I managed to get another good match in.

Break down for the match today wasn't bad not a high round count right around 110. Due to the sloppy ground they tried to limit movements and make a decently technical match.

I've got to find the time to do more dry firing and work on my draws and reloads. I know exactly what I need to do just need to quit having excuses not to. This week I start drill sergeant school so time to do drumfire is going to be reduced and match time is going to be even more restrictive. All in all still not too bad for doing this sport for 10 months.

Well looks like last weekend wasn't too bad ended up 2nd open/overall. Not sure how much time ill have for practice starting this drill school thing and then drill duty but I know I won't be shooting no 3-4 matches a month now. Ill try to run some kind of practice at least 3-4 times a week.

Well drill school sucking up a but load if time but possibly going to be able to shoot a local tomorrow if I get released early enough. Did a few dry fire runs tonight but mostly studied. Shooting time will have to be maximized elsewhere and with a but load if dry fire. Might be time to start investing in some airsoft to run courses in the garage

• 1 month later...

So after not shooting or touching my guns for over a month I pulled out a win somehow today and shot a decent 4 bill drill at 74.5% next weekend I'm hitting 2 matches a local and then a classifier match the next day could be a good time to get a bump to A class

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well since its been well over a month since i posted a few updates on whats up.

Sept classifier match took me to A class in open and in limited was able to go from 62% to 72% not bad in gains seeing how i have not shot limited in a few months from that point.

Since i had fun shooting limited in the classifier I decided to shoot yesterdays match limited. Sadly since its been so long since I really practiced in limited it was an epic failure on performance and stage executions. I tried to shoot limited like i shoot open and for me I can honestly say it doesnt work. I forgot simple stage procedures and it cost me to zero out the 1st stage and took me well over 10 seconds to fix a screw up on another stage. So needless to say it was a wake up call to either shoot limited more in practice or just give limited up and focus on open.

Back to the grind I have very little time to practice now and match time has been severely degraded from 3-5 matches a month to 1 a month If im lucky. Trying to make M by next March is going to be one hell of a challenge but I think it can still be done.

• 11 months later...

Man I have slacked off on this thing.

Since last November I have shot 4 major matches

Fl Open DQ!!!!

Area 6 Championship 4th A, 27th Open

Sc Sectional. 2nd A, 11th Open

Nationals. 2nd A, 40th Open

Still an A class shooter at 82%, lets see what happens this year!!!!