Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Reduced Power Spring

ALRAY

Take the stock off.If I remember correctly some recoil spring tubes have a nut on the back (maybe metric) and some you have to stick a punch or other round tool through in order to turn it.You may (probably) need to heat the tube /nut junction so it will break free.Once you have it off just pull out the old and replace with the new.Maybe clean and oil the tube while it's apart.

ALRAY:

I dought if this will help with the cycling of tac buck and slugs. The Benelli standard spring works great with these loads!!! the light one doesn't work very well with these loads!! For the sake of triing you WILL need to heat the back of the recoil spring extention (where the nut looking part with the threaded stud sticks out). These are put in with RED lock tite and requier alot of heat( propane torch minimum). This will of course collaps the existing spring a bit so make sure this is what you need to do!! Do you have a pistol grip on the gun?? What is it doing ( I can guess that it dosen't like to cycle unless it has heavy loads in it) If it is a bolt bounce problem the light spring won't help. If it has a pistol grip the light spring won't help. If it has a chambering problem the light spring won't help. Have you oiled the shell release tab, ( little thing that sticks down by the trigger guard ). Let us know what its doing befor heating the hell out of the stud and changing springs!!!!!                                       KURT

Every thing Bill H. said is correct... but tell me what it is doing BEFOR you do that to the gun!!!

I have a strait stock on my benelli, i was hoping for faster cycle times when I changed the spring to a lighter one, since I only use light loads. I was Wrong! after the spring change I could actually pull the trigger faster than the gun would shoot.

Benelli's are like an old 1911 some shoot, some don't if you have a good one love it keep it forever. if you don't thats why there are gun shows.

Just one thing before you ditch the gun, are you sure its not the shooter? if you hold the gun too loose or "push pull" too hard you can shut them down with a little dirt in the equasion.

REDDOT:

Short cycling light loads is usually a function of the main spring tube being "kinked" a little by a mis fitting stock. I have found this to be the case with pistol grip stocks in particular, although I have seen it on straight stocks too. Best test is to take the stock off and then just place it on the gun( no nut washers etc) with the pad re installed fire a light load like a dove load and see if it locks back. If it does you need to take a good look at the stock fit. If not you need to pull the tube apart and look for wear on the tube and spring guide/buffer. If there is wear you may need a new tube, a la sure cycle. I have fixed at least 12 of these so far and only one needed a tube. I have seen on buffer scew ( on the very back) come loose and also cause problems, but my bet is its the stock fit!                          KURT

KurtM,

Thanks for the info, I tried it and the gun won't lock back about half time with RR slugs. It is 100% with regular slugs and shot loads if they are 11/8oz. and up. Do I need to: 1) cut coils from factory spring, 2)get a Sure-cycle,and possibly cut coils from it  or 3)will the Wolff reduced spring help? Sure-cycle seems a bit pricey, but a drop in the bucket comparatively.

Thanks again for your wisdom

RD

(Edited by reddot at 1:25 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

(Edited by reddot at 1:25 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

KurtM,

Thanks for help.  The gun is new - only 200-300 rounds through it.  It short cycles with the reduced loads only sometimes.  Maybe it needs a little more breaking in or I just need to get used to shooting it.  The process just for trying the reduced power spring sounds quite involved.  I think I'll just shoot it some more before I do anything.

Thanks again.

Reddot, If I might ask do you have an extended tube, and side saddles? Weight is the downfall of the Benelli. I have a 15 shot tube that works if you shoot it slow. My 10 round tube works with heavy loads, and 95% with all others. The heaviest thing in the gun is the bolt. The gun needs to recoil to work. When you fire a shot the light gun moves first, then the bolt moves rearward and unlocks and starts the cycle. Some guys have luck with the reduced springs and the sure cycle kits. The gunsmiths at Benelli say these modifications should make no difference in the cycle rate of the gun, or it's ability to cycle light loads. I believe the sure cycle kit is the same as the stock benelli, but stainless. If you polish your tube inside,and the  spring follower you should get the same effect.

RKGSMITH:

I fully agree that weight is a problem, and I should have addressed that also. However I have seen far more stock miss alignment problems than weight problems. The 3 open guns we have built hold 12 rounds in the tube and none have to be shot slow, to keep weight down we used a optima sight that was milled into the rib. These guns also run a compensator. All 3 run perfectly with Federal Multi-purpose dove loads bought at Wal-Mart. We did go to extream lengths to make sure the stock, when tightend down, was in perfect alighnment with the tube. All 3 run the stock tube and spring from Bennelli. One of these guns will be running at Mesa in open if you care to see one.          KURT

Kurt, can you get into specifics about the stock misalignment, and how you are checking for that problem. I too went to extremes in lightening my gun. I built my tubes from aluminum with plastic bushings, took of the rib, mounted an optima, and shortened the barrel to 23 inches. However I still run into a malfucntion where the hammer follows the bolt down. I can only assume the bolt has not made it's full throw and the hammer is not re-setting. I have checked for drag on the recoil spring follower and polished it and the inside of the tube. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RK&Kurt,

Thanks again for the help, I am running a stock Practical model with the only changes being a 10 rd tube to replace the factory 8 rounder and a Holosight.

I guess we just are not going to shoot RR slugs, everything else 11/8 and up runs flawlessly.

How in the heck does the Benelli 20 Ga work?

RKGSMITH:

The areas to look at are where the stock meets the reciever, and where the tube joins the stock. Even though the stock fits flush with the reciever when just hand fitting, under the tension of screwing the stock to the reciever you will notice a gap as the stock just contacts. The small gap can be "tightend" out and one would think all is well! However this miss alighnment causes a slight bending of the tube. Since the tube and guide/buffer fit so closely it will slow the action down. My limited shotgun ( a super90 field) requiered a miss match of a C spacer and an A plate!! On the tacticals, some times the slot that the sling mount/butt stock assemble washer is cut at the wrong angle, when tightend binds the tube. I have also had to fit the front of the stock to the reciever to change the angle here as well. The quickest test is as I posted above. The other way is to set the gun up in a vice butt up and run a plum line down the tube to center, with out stuff in it but the studd screwed in. Then tighten the stock down with out recoil pad and look for miss alignement. Hope all this helps.

REDDOT: If it cycles 1 1/8 dove loads it should cycle RR slugs. Try different batches of slugs and manufactuers, I have found quite a bit of varience in RR slugs and finally just whent with regular slugs my self!          KURT