Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911/22

CaptRob

My daughter wants to start shooting steel and I wanted to get some opinions of starting her out with the Sig 1911/22. I know the Ruger 22/45 would be the best option, but it is almost impossible to find mags for it and I have the opportunity to buy the sig and mags or a good price.

Check out the GSG 1911. It is the same gun, only cheaper. Not sure how good a deal you have on the Sig though. Do you have a 1911 .45 already? Check out the various .22 conversions. I got the Kimber top and it has been flawless. Even Promags for it work great.

I have one and it shoots great and is accurate.... When I shoot cci mini mags the gun runs perfect, if I try to run super cheap ammo ill get a stove pipe here and there. In the manual sig states they test fire and recommend mini mags.... I love mine

I am going to go completely negative on this response.

Picked up a Sig 1911 22 about 18 months ago as a plinker.

First it is not a very accurate gun. Some of my friends can get decent accuracy out of it. But I cannot.

The trigger is creaky. Can that be improved? I took it to a well known smith and he refused to work on the pistol as It is not a 1911. It just looks like one on the outside.

The gun also has a magazine disconnect and a grip safety which does not fit my hand. (Now taped down).

Extra magazines are $40.00 each when in stock, and you will need a min of 5 total for a Steel Match.

(That is another $200.00 into your trade.)

Do not put the magazines into an Ultrasonic---ask me how I know.

I shoot Steel twice a month. For a change, a group of us have been shooting 1911s in 22 from the holster. After 3 Matches using Kydex the finish on the Sig is completely scratched up.

Finally, yes, the gun is reliable with Mini-mags. But you cannot find Mini-mags. Certainly cannot find them at a decent price and volumn to train a new shooter at a Steel Match,

Overall the Sig is a paper weight. Sorry, wish I could be more upbeat.

I have the Sig and a Ruger 22/45. Ruger wins hands down. Sig trigger is not smooth and heavy for a 22. Stock sights are poor. I replaced mine with adjustable. Mags are decent but expensive. Also if you let them drop free, the bottom plate likes to start to come off. Accuracy isn't bad but not great either. It's acceptable for A-Zone size targets and typical USPSA distances. Like others have said, Minimags run reliable, bulk pack can be iffy as the gun gets dirty. For practice, it is nice using the same holster and mag pouches as my SS gun. But unless I'm specifically practicing USPSA, I'd rather shoot the Ruger.

For me a dedicated 22 is the way to go either a Ruger which is what I shoot or a Buckmark. Midway should have magazines. I'd look at the mark series on the Ruger with plans for the Volquartsen trigger group and a good scope cheaper red dots don't seem to hold up and can be dim on a fresh painted plate.

There's a 1911 styled pistol made by Umerax imported through Walther with Colt logo that seems to be a good gun my friends ran every type of 22 ammo we tried. My Ruger Mark 2 is picky liking Federal bulk pack, CCI mini mags and CCI Blazer.

Played with a couple of Sig 1911's and was not impressed. Parts are not available from Sig.