Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Range Officer vs STI Trojan

fellas

Don't know anything about the Trojan but have been shooting an RO for a while now. I am very impressed with its accuracy, fit and finish. It is a real confidence booster. I don't hesitate to take longer shots. I just know they are going to be alphas.

From what I have read the idea behind the RO was to create a simple but solid gun that could grow with a new shooter. They have succeeded wonderfully. It is a solid platform that can be easily modified as the shooter decides what he wants in his pistol.

It doesn't hurt that it is much less expensive than the Trojan.

Edited by Bart Solo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

For me it was an easy decision. New RO, flat trigger, trigger job, and a couple other enhancements, still cheaper than a Trojan and I don't have to look at that ridiculous roll mark or plastic trigger.

I have been thinking about this a lot. I have to agree with FreeJersey. For me the RO is cheaper after adding a mag well, doing some trigger work, and replacing the front sight.

I own a range officer and I love it. I did make some mods ( fiber front sight, magwell and mainspring housing, sti flat trigger, and grips) I do not have a Trojan but I know that my range officer run flawless and recoil is very manageable.

• 11 months later...

What if you planned on replacing the trigger components with better stuff, regardless which one you bought (RO or Trojan)? Would the nod still go to the Trojan, or would saving $300 and buying the same trigger group (Brazos drop-in) land you in the same place (but your wallet being $300 heavier?

I was looking at these 2 in 9mm. I have a Trojan in 45 and love it. While at my local GS last week he had 2 RO's in 9mm. I left the store with 1 of them for 759 dollars. I ran 150 rounds thru it with factory and reload ammo and it was 100%. Got a email from Dawsons about the 10% off free shipping sale they were having so I ordered the following; ICE no gap magwell,4 no gap 10 round mags, fiber sight, lite speed trigger group, 3 aluminum shock buffs. Grand total 367 dollars. Added some 30 dollar grips and a trigger and extended mag catch I had in the parts drawer for a total of 1155 dollars. This gun also comes with a ramped barrel in 9mm which I like. The trigger breaks just under 2 pounds and I hope to try it out in the coming week.

post-38721-0-26982700-1417310236_thumb.j

I was looking at these 2 in 9mm. I have a Trojan in 45 and love it. While at my local GS last week he had 2 RO's in 9mm. I left the store with 1 of them for 759 dollars. I ran 150 rounds thru it with factory and reload ammo and it was 100%. Got a email from Dawsons about the 10% off free shipping sale they were having so I ordered the following; ICE no gap magwell,4 no gap 10 round mags, fiber sight, lite speed trigger group, 3 aluminum shock buffs. Grand total 367 dollars. Added some 30 dollar grips and a trigger and extended mag catch I had in the parts drawer for a total of 1155 dollars. This gun also comes with a ramped barrel in 9mm which I like. The trigger breaks just under 2 pounds and I hope to try it out in the coming week.

So having both a Trojan and an RO, are you satisfied with the route you took, or do you think a Trojan in 9mm would have been better--assuming you'd (I'd) put in the upgraded trigger, regardless which one you bought?

I don't know that I can say one is better than the other. I like them both for different reasons. I am a little old school and want to examine and handle something before I buy it, rather than order one. They both have ramped barrels, the Trojan has a flat top slide and undercut grip. The RO has a forged steel slide and frame. The RO was definitely cheaper to buy initially and I tend to modify everything to some extent. Plus I was very impressed with the fit of the gun. If you are able to do your upgrades yourself you will save some money with the RO. If the undercut grip feels and points better for you then go with the Trojan. So far I am very satisfied with the RO.