Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 finally works after 2 years

I picked up a RF 100 a couple of years ago and have never been able to get it to work. EVERY tube required some fiddling whether it was sideways primers in the funnel, upside down primers, primers sideways as they entered the clear stabilizer plate and anything else you can think of. Nonetheless I refused to stop using it. About 50k rounds later and after reading BE's suggestions to another forum member mine works.

BE suggested using a rheostat to slow down the machine. At least I think that is what the rheostat would do. Anyway, during one of my uneducated attempts to stop primers from going sideways and hanging up at the stabilizer I put a light hand spring-clamp on the stabilizer. This didn't work and completely stopped primer flow BUT as I was moving the clamp around I noticed that at certain spots it slowed the vibration. So, I tried just putting the clamp on the bowl where it didn't touched anything else and found that if put in the right spot, about an inch left of the funnel, the machine slowed down, was quieter, and worked flawlessly.

Now I realize how ghetto this is but it would seem that slowing the vibration has solved the problem.

Shepard

ima45dv8,

Thanks for the info, Checked it out, looks handy enough. for 30 bucks I think I will try one!

Ivan

You're welcome, Ivan.

The thing I love most about is being able to preload as many primer tubes as I want. That, and it's fast. Starting with the primers in the package and the loader lying on my bench, I have a loaded tube ready to go in about 45 seconds. ;)

Thanks ima45dv8 for the info on the Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime unit! I had been holding off on buying a Dillon for two years due to all of the issues I had heard about (plus the ridiculous price). Based on your post, I ordered one of the Frankford units along with 3 additional primer trays and tube adapters for my existing Dillon pick-up tubes. It works flawlessly! I load up 10 tubes in no time flat. The total cost with the extra parts (including shipping) was $61.

Again, THANKS!

• 3 months later...

The franklin has been nothing but problems for me, until I got a tip from a guy at my club.

Take the white bayonet thing on the top of the tube, take it off, and throw it out. All you really need to do is hold the tube up in the unit in the right place. After I started doing this I've had no sideways primers, whereas before I had sideways primers almost every time. I imaging due to manufacturing tolerances some units work better than otehrs, and I got a bad one.

The other benefiit to this is that you can use your standard dillon primer pick up tubes that you already have instead of buying more from franklin.

Also, adding a slight chamfer to the franklin tube helps when using this technique. The dillon tubes already have a slight chamfer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine tonight, and as stated above, I LOVE it! The white and black locking lugs leave a bit to be desired (they are too large in diameter), but it works great without them. I think I will try spraying some polyurethane coating inside the lugs, then sanding them with some fine paper, to try and make the bore diameter smaller.

Was able to fill a tube in 40 seconds tonight, WOW! MUCH better than filling the Dillon tubes by hand!

One thing that may make yours work better.... take out one battery, and just put a wire in place of it. Basically, running it on one battery slows the vibes, and in my case, sped up the filling process. It was taking a minute to fill at first, but after I slowed it by half, it filled faster.

I am happy!

F6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...