Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp kits

zaphar

If you are in the US trying to run 9x21 ammo today it might be frustrating. You can get 9x21 brass from Starline, but getting it back after a match and keeping track of it during practices might be challenging.

9x21 is a good caliber, but it was a caliber that had a nitch due to gun design (small frame CZ pattern guns trying to run major) and has been eclipsed by 9mm major for the small frames and the large frames can handle either the 9mm or .38 super. Now if you live in a different country where you can't own military caliber firearms, this might be a whole 'nuther story.

Having said all that...if I had a 9x21 barreled Tanfo I'd run regular 9mm (9x19) out of it loaded long. This might be an option for you.

Yes you're out of luck. The selection of factory 9x21 is going to be very limited in the US and it would not make major, it's basically the same as 9x19 factory ammo, just with longer brass. The development of 9x21 was not to have the ability to load longer like 38 Super, but simply to make a civilian round 'different' from 'military' rounds in countries with silly laws.

In a small frame gun it's the magazine which limits your OAL, you can make the brass longer, the chamber longer, but you can't make the magazine accep longer rounds.

I bought a 9x21 top end for my small frame Witness just to get my hands on the slide and comp; I shot some 9x19 rounds through it just to try. It functioned fine, but it just didn't sound or feel right and the brass gets fire formed out of spec.

Hey, kneelingatlas, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking to do. I'm itching to get the 9x21 just to have the comp and use it for 9mm major open division. I'm glad to hear 9x19 is "functioning" in 9x21's. But you said it "didn't feel right." Did it feel unstable or cause odd movement in the firearm? Ultimately, I'm trying to find out if the accuracy decreased noticably...

Edited by asphirosis

First off you don't have to buy the comp kit to get the comp, Numrich sells a bunch of them for about $40 each, but you have to get the right one for your frame size: small frame barrels are 14mm in OD, large frame are 15mm. Numrich doesn't specify frame size, but they have a great return policy, so I bought them all just to check them out and returned the ones I didn't want.

You have a large frame Witness Match 9mm with a 4.75" barrel right? If you want to add this comp

1291700_zpsab56ba9a.jpg

to this gun

54980.jpg

You need to take a 6" barrel from EAA, have it cut and threaded M15x0.75. Then you'll end up with something similar to this

ProjectMiniMe_zpsf695061b.jpg

but longer (this one is a small frame with a compact slide).

Normal PF loads in the 9x21 barrel were discussed, however,... should I be discouraged from shooting MAJOR 9x19 rounds in a 9x21 barrel? Or is it safe? I hear the term "supported barrel" thrown around. This 9x21 comp kit from Tanfo is sold by Numrich... supported?

Edited by asphirosis

Asphirosis,

If what you have is a large frame Match with a 4.75" barrel you need to just forget you ever saw that 9x21 comp kit from Numrich, t is for a small frame with a 4.5" barrel. Are you clear on the difference between large frame and small frame?

For what is worth I have fired 9x19 Major ammo out of a 9x21 barrel without blowing myself up, not tens of thousands, but a handful. The groups were nothing to brag about, but that could have been due to the fact that this particular barrel had been reamed pretty aggressively. The other thing to worry about is that the only thing keeping the round from slipping into the chamber is the extractor so if to gets past the extractor your stage is over.

Having said all that...if I had a 9x21 barreled Tanfo I'd run regular 9mm (9x19) out of it loaded long. This might be an option for you.

can't load longer in a sf tanfoglio or cz, magazines won't allow it. Just std. length 9x19 OAL's are fine.

A fellow shooter I know has shot well over 100,000 major pf 9x19 loads out of his 9x21 chambered sf tanfoglio. He's been doing that since the early 90's, especially since the sponsor he had only gave him 9x19 brass to load with.

I"m referring to the full size frame kit - 5-1/2" barrel here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1291580.htm

I'm going to stick to 9mm minor limited for now. Afterl I get .40 or higher caliber slide, then I'll consider going Major.

That is a Small frame assembly,

in the world of tanfoglio Small frame and compact frame are not the same thing, you can have a Large frame compact, standard or long slide gun and you can also have a small frame compact, standard or long slide gun

the difference between a Large frame and Small frame Tanfoglio is the dimension of the magazine opening, the small frame guns are built around the 9mm cartridge dimensions and have smaller magazine opening and have only been avaliable in 9mm, 9x21, 40sw, 41AE the large frame guns are built around the 45ACP cartridge and are what most (but not all) of the Tanfoglios in the US are they are available in 9mm, 38super, 40sw, 10mm, and 45acp. many of the parts interchange between the two but the magazine, slide, barrel, trigger bow, and fireing pin are not interchangeable. the easy way to tell what you have if you are not sure is to measure the magazine Large Frame Mags measure: 1.345" x 0.850". Small Frame Mags measure: 1.250" x 0.800".

Mike

That's the one I'm referring to too

I"m referring to the full size frame kit - 5-1/2" barrel here:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1291580.htm

That's the one I'm referring to too. If you read the description it says "The kits fit standard full-size Witness models"

The Tanfo terminology can be a bit confusing at times, but here's a short glossary:

Frames:

-small frame - capable of chambering .22, 9mm and .40 only (current models)

-large frame - capable of chambering .22, 9mm, .40, .38 Super, 10mm, .45 (and just about any handgun cartage). Prior to 2005 38/10/45 guns were large frame, 9/40 guns were small frame, but in 2005 EAA started importing all calibers in large frame format, then came the "Witness Classic" small frame 9/40 and the large and small poly guns (I think small frame polys are denoted as "PS" but don't hold me to that, I've never seen a poly in person)

-standard and compact - refers to the length of the grip

Slides:

-compact - 3.6" barrel

-standard - 4.5" barrel

-longslide - 4.75" barrel

-Hunter - 6" barrel

small frame slides house barrels with an OD of 14mm and large frame slides house barrels with an OD of 15mm

Mike beat me to it :cheers: