Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS Frame Reduction & Undercuts

mspiredm3

Hey guys,

Looking to send my 9mm TS to CZC for a grip reduction and trigger guard and beavertail undercuts (just like the Czechmate). Will be installed a FO front sight, SA flat trigger, and extended safety while it's there as well.

My questions are:

Is lightening the slide a worthwhile modification? Who has done it? How did it improve (or not)?

The CZC competition hammer is and has been out of stock for months with no sign of when it will be back in stock. Do I have any other options here? Would really like to have the trigger improved while it is at CZC. I have the CGW hammer on my Phantom and absolutely LOVE it. I know it is thinner than the TS hammer, but would it still be able to be used on a TS? If so, would there be any drawbacks of using it vs. the CZC hammer made for the TS?

Planning on refinishing the frame in a burnt bronze. Anyone have pics of different finished TS's?

Any other modifications that are suggested while the gun is getting some love from CZC?

Thanks in advance!

334ab51d-36e4-4724-bd5c-0523ffd5bbf8.jpg

Edited by mspiredm3

I just had the slide lightened n my ts, and if I could undo it, I would. I'm sure other people would like it, it just made my gun more snappy. Once you do it, there's no going back. Going for the grip reduction, and cutting the grip for a higher hold, was a welcome change.

Edited by twister

I'll second Twister's thoughts on the lightened slide, I added a slide racker which mitigated the snap. With regards to the undercutting of the frame, I did only the trigger guard and not the beaver tail to make it point better for me. Try drawing the pistol with your eyes closed, when you open them are your sights aligned? My front sight was consistently high, so I undercut the trigger guard to bring it down.

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll be saving some money and leaving the slide alone!

I want the grip on the TS to be as close to my Phantom as possible. The Phantom fits me like a glove. No other pistol has ever fit as well as it has, and that's probably why I shoot it better than anything else too.

Pics of your guys' undercuts?

Edited by mspiredm3

Here you go. I like the lightened slide but I am used to the snap of my Open gun. I would say leave it alone. If you like something why change it.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104479&hl=%2Bts+%2Bneomet#entry1188864

Very nice man! Questions:

What is the reason for shortening the frame? Is only to improve balance? Wouldn't this increase recoil impulse?

Did you only undercut the beavertail and not the trigger guard?

You also felt the slide cuts made the gun snapier?

Yes, the frame is shortened for balance. It is a preference. Heavier frame means reduced recoil at the expense of the gun feeling more nose heavy and theoretically at least slower transitions. I think the differences are fairly minor. The main difference is going to be cutting down the grip. That will be the most dramatic change for you. Yes, I do think the lightened slide is snappier. A lighter slide will be moving at a higher velocity than a heavier one. More of a slap than a thud in your hand is the best way I can describe it.

Like was said in post #3, check the point of the gun (eyes closed, draw; eyes open, check sights) - once you undercut the trigger guard your gun will point lower, forever. You have more leverage over recoil with a straighter strong-side arm (as in, no undercutting).

I just had the slide lightened n my ts, and if I could undo it, I would. I'm sure other people would like it, it just made my gun more snappy. Once you do it, there's no going back. Going for the grip reduction, and cutting the grip for a higher hold, was a welcome change.

Do you shoot 40SW or 9x19?

I was told by a Russian shooter that the 40SW is getting snappy - so here we go a proof for that one

I also seen some bad-looking hammer in CZ store

it is very light and VERY fast one

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/370-pistols/PS3P/1091-1322.aspx