Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Setup

PaulW

Ok I am planning on buying a new limited gun first part of next year and Dan is building one with the holess hybrid. Who has shot both that can give me some feedback on if they liked it and why? Thanks guys!! The details of the gun can be found here :

Limited Guns

paulw1.jpg

paulw2.jpg

paulw3.jpg

hi Paul,

i used a pistol like that at the last Frostproof match. at first i thought there was no diff between the two(standard sights on slide) but after shooting it a bit more i kinda liked that ligher, faster slide because of the hybrid cut and i get to find the front sight much faster..i immediately returned it to Derek of Millenium custom after the match because i kinda lost interest on my STI edge after shooting a beauty like that.. :D

Just my $ .02:

I shot a hybrid .45 before I ever got into any sort of organized shooting. I was amazed at how I could see the front site.

When these things got approved I ranted and raved on here about how they would be the only viable set up, and USPSA had just created a monopoly. I asked for experiences and comments. I was literally gathering parts for one myself. Guys told me that I would notice less of a difference now tht I shot at a higher level than my first experience.

They were right.

The weekend before the NATS I shot Jeff Gambrell's before I left the US. It was a nice gun but I noticed "Jack Squat" difference in how quickly I could find the site on it's return. If you had not told me it was supposed to have gee whiz factor, I would have probably said "nice gun, I like mine better." (and mine was new as well, so there's no advantage in knowing my timing with my gun or anything).

Objectively, from a functional standpoint, it can't be a bad thing. It's like mag pouches up front; yeah, I can be fast from further back but it's a shorter trip to the front one. You're a GM, your eyes already work quickly and you can develope timing to fire as the sites return. I have to side with the guys that told me the same thing "I don't think you'll see a big difference".

For me personally, I am not crazy about Schuemann barrels, especially with less than the most expensive bullets. I am shooting whatever I can grab now and a lot of times it's some weird black plated.....who knows what. I want, no NEED deep CUT rifling like a barsto or a KKM to insure that things don't go ass over tea kettle.

Lastly, I have heard from a couple of gunsmiths how they are not crazy about the lockup, that you are trying to force that barrel up through the slide, and they are not sure about the long term.

It is sexy and new, but you would be committing to one brand and configuration for the life of the top end at least.

my .02 I really like my Brazo's lightened limited gun, I notice 3 things,

1. the sight doesn't lift as high because of the slight weight difference compared to my other stock gun.

2. I like the way it swings, but you can bearly tell the difference.

I also just use a steel guide rod.

3. Yours is way too sexy for your holster, you need to throw some oil and dirt on it

to make it look well used, plus it might make it cheaper to purchase!!

Remember on free advise, you get what you pay for, and you didn't give me nothin'!!!!!

Manny ;)

There's Manny, I wondered when we'd hear from the "two time darkhouse Champ." That is two years in a row isn't it?

Paul speaks very highly of Dan's work, but in my post I was going to reference something like the Short DC gun from Brazos. My buddy here has one and it's pretty nice. Balance and cool factor are up there too.

PS: Does anyone think the Bedell LIM guns look like the old LASERAIM .45's of the 90's.

Lastly, I have heard from a couple of gunsmiths how they are not crazy about the lockup, that you are trying to force that barrel up through the slide, and they are not sure about the long term.

From my experience the hybrid barrel lug never comes out of the slide, where you say "force that barrel UP through the slide", and never goes down below it. And the hybrid lug has nothing to do with the lockup of the barrel and the slide. That is all done with the original barrel and slide locking lugs designed by John Browning. If for some reason a gunsmith that builds a gun with a hybrid barrel and used the hybrid barrel lug for some type of lockup I would find a new gunsmith.

I was told by my gunsmith that there is NO more stress put on the slide by cutting the slot in it. All the stress is in the locking lug and the barrel link, link pin and lugs and slide stop pin. If properly fit and timed the stress to the barrel link, link pin and lugs and the slide stop are very little. Which sound right to me from everything I have read and heard about the 1911 design.

Manny, I think I would be even more grandious in my bragging. Something like "I am the best there is when the lights go out".

I dropped the light during my run last year and shot the rest of the stage with it dangling from my wrist. It was a cool strobe effect, sort of IPSC meets disco.

TRi burst; I was just relating a comment by a gs, he said if you fit it tightly up front, it puts pressure up into the slot. I know just enough about how guns work to let someone else clean mine, so I would probably NOT qualify as an expert.