Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unique, 540, and 700x for 9 minor

818-DVC

Was going through my old skeet loading crap, and came across 4 unopened lbs of unique, a 4 lb jug of 540, and 3/4's of a 4lb jug of hi-skor 700x.

While waiting 12-16 weeks for N-320, some E3, and silhouette, I would love to get some use of these in my steel gun if possible.

Going to run some 124 and 115 JHP with SPP. Does anyone else use any of this stuff for minor/steel or in a comped gun? Anyone have any load data that they would like to share?

Thank you. Is there any comparison to the powders mentioned above? I can't remember what 540 is now, and I thought unique is really similar to n320, except its dirty, but I could be mixing it up with something else

Unique is dirty, 700x too slow (okay with 147s and 160s), Win 540 would be your best choice of the three. Win540 is close to HS-6. Yes, a lot of people use Unique, but especially for steel, the smoke and volume, the dirtiness is a distraction to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 700-X for 9mm and 45ACP.

In 9mm: 4.4 gr w/ FMJ or plated 124gr bullets at about 1.090 OAL. I've loaded and shot 1,000s w/ good results. Velocity is about 1050 fps on my cheap chrony.

Not a bad selection of powders to have!

Indeed WW540 is exactly the same a HS-6.

I am down to my last couple pounds out of a 10 lb can of WW540 and have been using it for scrimp/practice major loads in .38 super. I"m not a big fan of it in .38 super however it works good for moderately minor loads in the 140 - 160 pf for for both .38 super and 9mm out of an old skool comp gun with a 7lb spring. For .38 super I was running about 8.5-8.8 grains with a 115gr fmj @ 1.250" for a powerfactor of about 140. For 9mm I'd just use Hodgdon's load data as a start point.

Also, I use 700x for 12ga trap/skeet reloading and have used it for .45, .38 special, and a little in 9mm and while it is a little sooty I found it to be very accurate in the .45 and .38 special loads, to me it is a lot like WW231 in those two calibers. Again, Hodgdon's load data is the best source for a start point as they list 700x for 9mm.

BTW - If you don't want that WW540 there might be some 9major shooters in your area that would love to have it. A couple of 9maj shooters in my area have said that HS6 is kind of scarce right now and haven't seen it at PV for months.