Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COWBOY SHOOTING tv

chrisva

I think its great whenever I watch shooting of any kind on tv (except bullseye sorry) but why does Cowboy get almost 2 hours on OLN with there own show. When ipsc is lucky if shooting usa gets 20mins of coverage. They feel so good about themselves shooting at a steel wall 15ft away with a bullets so slow paper would stop it. Is it because cowboy does a better job of marketing to the general public inviting people to an event not just a shooting match or is it that uspsa is so bad at it?

I've been shooting this game for a couple years and know I'm sure I know nothing about the old days, but I love this game. When I'm at a major matchs and see that the rules(e.g. time for walk thoughs not pasting etc.) don't apply to the gods of the game I think is buts a bad taste in the mouths of new and old alike.

I feel that until we get out of this backyard clic club mentality we'll never get that big.

C

don't get me started, the cowboys in our area have been less than "gentlemanly" in reguards to treating other shooters well. Several of our local ranges are run completely at the convenience of the Cowboys and they lord it over you.

These are malcontent ex-USPSA shooters who couldn't cut it and have a grudge. Now they are retired, got themselves voted into club president positions and are enjoying treating the rest of us like crap.

I guess they are the kinder, gentler shooting sport, costume contest included.

oh.............sorry, back to your rant. :unsure:

Yo;

SASS got their television show the old-fashioned way...they BOUGHT it! They contracted to purchase time from OLN, which is mega-expensive, then hired a production company to produce their show. It's like hemoraging money.

Telly-Bision is like going to Vegas with all your savings, plus the mortgage to your house, RV, children, pets and appliances, then sitting down at the MEGA-HIGH-STAKES-CRAPS table and saying, "Roll dem dices! Baby needs a new pair of shootin' irons!"

As far as IPSC-ON-TV, we've had this discussion a whole bunch. The Powers-That-Be made their choice. In the two years I've been working on SHOOTING GALLERY, the only people I've ever heard from in IPSC/USPSA are Charles Bond in Area 6 and the much maligned Nick Alexecos.

We're rolling out our own cowboy show in January. You might give it a try...we're covering Western 3-Gun (among many otehr things), which is a splinter group from SASS that includes all the guys who are into *shooting* as opposed to the ancilliary stuff. On my original business plan, we were going to spin off a *practical shooting* show first if SHOOTING GALLERY was a success. As they say on World Tour Poker, you play the hands you're dealt.

RANT ON!!

mb

I'm a Cowboy shooter and I don't like SASS TV or the attitudes of a lot of the SASS shooters out there. A good majority of them have a superior attitude that I think is derived from a derision of competition. Whether it's because the aren't good enough to compete due to an unwillingness to practice, or because they think that organized (and glorified) plinking is better is beyond me.

Look for the show that Michael Bane is doing on Western 3 Gun. That game is run by competitive shooters for competitive shooters. Complete with a prize table and possibly cash to give away in the future. That will be the future of competitive cowboy shooting. It won't be SASS.

So yeah, I agree with your rant! But don't paint all of us with that broad brush.

Joel "Doc" Shapiro

http://www.jspublications.net

Cowboy Action is the stealth shooting sport. No tactical talk, no professed urge to go fast, just powderpuff loads and replicas of cute old guns from the wild west, (and the getups!). In California they will be the last guns left when the libs out there get through. But all these funny looking guys and gals have some very capable guns that are universally thought to be harmless.

for some, there is a method to the madness...