Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Shellplate Mis-Alignment Problems Need Fix

Hi,

I thought I would ask for help before breaking a finger and losing parts. Here is the problem:

Just recently my 650 has started to jam primers in crooked in the new shell. What I notice is that when the shellplate comes around from station 1 to 2 it lines up on the downstroke, on the up stroke 3/4 up the shellplate is lined up, the last 1/4 of the up stroke the shell plate moves just slightly clockwise and the primer catches the edge of the case and rips, or jams in crooked. After the primer is seated good or bad, on the downstroke, it again lines up and looks normal. The problem appears to be the lst 1/4 of the up stroke. Any idea on what is doing this, or how I can fix it. It is happening about every other round. Thanks for any help.

Matt

I would call Dillon's help line, those guys are awesome and can probably talk you through it while you are on the phone.

From their web-site:

However, if you wish to talk to a real person, call us. We mean it. Anyone can make a mistake. There's no such thing as a dumb question. If something is giving you a problem, let us help you!

You may call or write the Technical Support and order line at:

Phone 800-223-4570 or 480-948-8009

Fax 480-998-2786

Open:

7am to 6pm Monday - Friday

8am to 3pm Saturday MST

(1400-0100   Monday - Friday

1500-2200 Saturday GMT)

We are closed on Sunday.

You can also email them at tech@dillonprecision.com

The shellplate alignment is fine tuned by adjusting the steel cam bolted to the left side of the frame, just under the platform (part # 16671, on machine assembly drawing, pg 50). It helps greatly to use a bungee cord to hold the handle in the "seating a primer" position. Then loosen the two bolts that attach the cam to the frame; the upper bolt hole in the cam is slotted to allow for adjustment. Call Dillon and ask for the alignment tool, which is a steel straw that fits over the primer seating punch, and fills the oval cut in the shellplate. However, this alignment can be done easily with a calibrated eyeball. Adjust the cam so that the primer seating punch is centered in the U in the shellplate, then tighten the two screws.

Also, be sure the spring-loaded tab at the priming station is properly adjusted. This tab should not touch the case, but should be .002"-.004" away from the case.

This tab is adjusted by turning a small setscrew mounted horizontally in the back of the primer feed housing base. There is a small hole you insert the 3/32" allen wrench into. Turn the set screw clockwise to back it away from the case.

I had a similar problem with my 650 loading 38 Super Comp. I called Dillon and they suggested I might have the shell plate adjusted too tight (too low). I backed off the adjusting screw (in the middle of the shell plate) about 1/4 turn. Problem gone!

One tell-tale symptom I had was the shell plate return pawl (I think that's the name) was wearing a shiny spot on the bottom of the shell plate.

Steve Pitt