Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What made the 10 O'Clock news in San Antonio

AlamoShooter

So tonight on the news with filmed reporters they have a hi-school student "That does not get to graduate" for missing one question on a test.

The news makes a big deal out of this student that does not get to walk the stage for graduation, and will have to go to summer school. "Because he missed a question on a math test"

The fact that its one too many errors to make a passing grade. The news story thinks the student should get to graduate any way.

So Now a good size news program slants a story that making passing grades should not be required to graduate.

Here is a prime example of the media and the entitlement society grooming our nation's children to feel that the bare minimum is all that is required, and that things like graduating, or getting a well paying job are rights and not privileges, and should be granted to them simply for being. No thank you, these are not the values that our great nation were founded upon.

Reality is going to hit hard for these people. When they realize that after graduation with their "basket weaving" degree, they don't get a laptop, cell phone, company car and corner office.

Those are earned.

BC

What worries me is not that these kids will not get what Bill stated above. The even bigger worry for me is that we unleash a big box of stupidity on the society as a whole who doesn't know enough to contribute and will now swell the roles of the welfare state. Who do you think these people vote for? What do you think they vote for? Reality is they more than likely don't even vote!

Maybe that is a good thing? :unsure:

JZ

Interesting: he didn't miss ONE question on the test, he missed BY one question.

Clearly he missed many, many questions.

Bad reporting by someone trying to create news, rather than reporting news.

-ivan-

Just get out there and try and everybody gets a trophy...... that is the world we raise kids in these days.

A failing grade given can be the best thing to do. A fundamental lack of understanding in math or any basic skill will prevent going forward. It's best to get it fixed and then pass them out. Giving somebody a pass when they don't get it is going to doom them.

Edited by bountyhunter

Interesting: he didn't miss ONE question on the test, he missed BY one question.

Clearly he missed many, many questions.

Bad reporting by someone trying to create news, rather than reporting news.

-ivan-

The news story led the entire bit as -"it was just ONE question" :angry2:

I have a spelling disorder , and I wan never on the honor roll but I still passed all the test.

This is a link to last nights "new story" http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/High-school-senior-crushed-he-cant-graduate/Ona1VnS-DU-P1TxRz1s5eg.cspx

Edited by AlamoShooter