Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12ga 3g questions

I am buying a new stock Saiga 12ga shotgun tomorrow and was curious as to what brand of mags run the most reliably?

I will be using this gun in open div 3 gun, and I was also wondering about what type of upgrades will give me a 3 gun friendly setup.

• 3 weeks later...

I like R&R products. I use his magwell and mags, never had a problem. Just put on his mid-brake, and I don't know if it

does that much but it looks cool. Left side charge handle is nice, the bolt is harder than hell. So be careful drilling and

tapping it.

I'd be careful recommending Akdals, starting to hear about problems with the plastic lower cracking. If you do get an Akdal, plan on replacing the lower with a Firebird aluminum one. I watched 2 Akdals crash and burn on my squad alone at Ironman this past weekend. One was heavily modded and the other was stock. The guy with the modded Akdal that puked finished the last 9 stages with my R&R Saiga backup gun. As for Saigas, I think a stock one is a good choice for a guy who likes to do his own work. Check out www.forum.saiga-12.com for lots of great info.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

How much $$$ are you spending/can you do your own work?.. Saiga, if you can. Do as suggested ...go to the Saiga/forums site. Opening the gas ports is almost a given (no biggie) and your going to have to profile the hammer and bolt. I have the JTE magwell & 12 rd. SGM mags, Since capacity/function is the game....the R&R mags (16 or 20) and their side release mechanism mag well might be a better choise..I sold my JM Mossberg ...never got the hang of speed loading it...

I'd be careful recommending Akdals, starting to hear about problems with the plastic lower cracking. If you do get and Akdal, plan on replacing the lower with a Firebird aluminum one. I watched 2 Akdals crash and burn on my squad alone at Ironman this past weekend. One was heavily modded and the other was stock. The guy with the modded Akdal that puked finished the last 9 stages with my R&R Saiga backup gun. As for Saigas, I think a stock one is a good choice for a guy who likes to do his own work. Check out www.forum.saiga-12.com for lots of great info.

Doug

Good to know. Just think a year or so ago people were calling the AKDAL the Saiga killer and so far that has not been the case. Got Rob building a 2nd full open Saiga for me now.

Pat