Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide racker help

DrLove

folks, had my first match with an open gun today and with a couple of malfunctions I realized the importance of a slide racker. My gun is a Trubor and I wonder which are the best and more importantly, the easier to install side rackers out there? Do I need to send it to a gunsmith given that really a newbie here or is there a way to install it myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

You will need to have a qualified smith install most slide rackers. I would suggest Gary Natale at GANs guns. The turn around time is awesome and he does top notch work. Pick out the slide racker you like and send it him. I think the wedsite said $50 for the instalation

folks, had my first match with an open gun today and with a couple of malfunctions I realized the importance of a slide racker. My gun is a Trubor and I wonder which are the best and more importantly, the easier to install side rackers out there? Do I need to send it to a gunsmith given that really a newbie here or is there a way to install it myself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Your first priority should be to fix the issue with the malfunctions, not find a work around. Having a slide racker may make racking the slide seem a bit easier, but so will pratcing unloaded starts.

The drop check is your friend. 90% of the malfunctions I see could have been avoided with diligent use of the drop check, another 6% thru simply keeping the mags clean, and the last 4% either mag or gun specific issues or limp wristing.

I put the long Cheeley slide racker on my m&p. originally just for table starts, but now that I have it, I hate shooting guns without one. You won't regret adding one. For me I had to use a tiny endmill to hog out most of the slide material, then I came through with dovetail endmill.

Unless you'll be installing a racker on 3 or 4 slides, after the amount of time it took and the cost of the endmills, I would send it out. The one easy fix I added to the Cheeley racker was to drill and tap it for a 4-40 set screw and then just drilled a tiny bit into the slide. With the set screw in you never have to worry about it flying off.

Gary Cans

You will need to have a qualified smith install most slide rackers. I would suggest Gary Natale at GANs guns. The turn around time is awesome and he does top notch work. Pick out the slide racker you like and send it him. I think the wedsite said $50 for the instalation

+1 and figure out what are the issues..