Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Kit Firing pin question

Patrick1981

Hi guys :)

If I take this J frame kit from Midway ..

the Apex XP firing pin inside this, is also good for my 686 ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/312808/apex-tactical-duty-carry-spring-kit-s-and-w-j-frame-31-32-34-36-37-38-42-49-60-63-631-632-637-638-640-642-649

I hope yes, I read the C&S description is for J-K-L-N frame.

Maybe is the XP firing pin (standard) with 2 J frame spring.

Thanks !

I've used both, and both worked well... Though, I decided to change all my revolvers over to the apex competition firing pin for consistency , and I read somewhere that the apex is less prone to breaking over the c&s.

• 2 months later...

I've used both, and both worked well... Though, I decided to change all my revolvers over to the apex competition firing pin for consistency , and I read somewhere that the apex is less prone to breaking over the c&s.

A wise man said to never dry fire an extended pin on an empty chamber, ever. He broke one at a pretty important match.

Another wise told me to throw the C&S pin in garbage every 10k clicks/bangs.

Personally I would do the same with an apex, just because. Firing pins are cheap, a broken pin in a match is the end of a match.

A S&W factory guy told me to throw the cyl stop and spring in garbage every 6k.

I asked if I could get them in value packs...

These guys are smarter than me. My cyl stop will go more than 6k before getting swapped, but firing pins won't go much past 10k before getting tossed...

A wise man said to never dry fire an extended pin on an empty chamber, ever. He broke one at a pretty important match.

Personally I would do the same with an apex, just because. Firing pins are cheap, a broken pin in a match is the end of a match.

These guys are smarter than me. My cyl stop will go more than 6k before getting swapped, but firing pins won't go much past 10k before getting tossed...

Hm, I havent heard that comment on the cylinder stops and springs before... does that go strictly for MIM stops or all ?

Hm, I havent heard that comment on the cylinder stops and springs before... does that go strictly for MIM stops or all ?

Presumably we are talking MIM, I didn't ask. My experience is the cyl stop spring goes south first, my experience is highly limited though.

The context was a call right after my 627 went off out of time this spring, it went right past the stop and the hammer fell on the extreme edge of the primer and it went off. No damage, bayou bullets at 125 pf....it probably would not have been as good if 357 mag jacketed...

The XP worked best for me in my heavily "Fauxmonized" revolvers. I found the competition pin tended to try harder to penetrate than crush the primer cup with the high velocity low mass approach. Competition likely works best with a heavy hammer set light on the strain screw. Much like the Apex hammers.

C&S is junk. Skip that step. It will break at a most inopportune time.

• 2 weeks later...