Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags fitting tight

XDman

So, I am in the process of making sure all my equipment is ready for the upcoming Ohio Champs and discover that several of my sti .40 mags are tight in the gun. :blink: When I say tight I mean that they will not drop free when the mag release is pushed. :angry2: I have tried the same mags in both of my 2011's and they get stuck in both frames. Does a mag wear out, or bulge from use?

I have also found that a couple of the mags will not drop free if I push the mag release all the way down such as in a fast reload. :surprise: Almost as of the release reengages the mad from the opposite side of the mag from the release slot.

Other than getting new mags, what could be the problem here?

I have a 9mm top end for one of the frames and the 9 mags for it all work great.

You are not alone with this issue, but it's going to take someone with a little more experience to clarify the "fix". Seems that is has to do with adjusting the outside dimensions of the offending tubes.

You can spray the outside with Dykem let it dry a bit then insert the mag in the gun take it out and you will see where it is rubbing. My smith told me he did a hammer fit on my SVI mags but I've squeezed a few in my vise, especially single stack mags, I have no idea how they get pregnant but they do,