Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKA1919 - In Jail for 10 Days, what parts to buy?

five six

I'm curious what the length on most setups become with a folding tromix stock?

I'm in california where among 922® laws, we've got the OAL requirement. I think 26" 30" 36" (someone chime in here)?

Anyhow, will the MKA 1919 meet the OAL requirement in folded position? Also, how much extra weight does a stock add with the adapter?

Give cheek weld and other factors like Length of Pull, what is the advantage to doing the after market stock adapter for either a AR buffer tube, or a folding stock?

Firebird is making 3 different stocks for their Mka's. I'm not sure if they will fit on a stock model, you would have to check with them. That said, my FB should be here Tues!!! I may have to call in sick to work and go to the range. Hope my sup isn't reading this!

My gun, with the stock fully collapsed is over 26" long. (I don't know the exact length, I just wanted to make sure it was at least 26" and legal.)

Depending on your gun, the gas bushing and reduced power recoil spring may be of some benefit during the break-in period and also help run the lower power loads even after break-in.

From the beginning, I used both the reduced power spring and the gas bushing beginning with "hot" loads moving quickly to "softer" loads. In time, they will both come out and be replaced with just the factory spring. I suspect that a lot of problems folks have with keeping these guns running is not taking the time to break them in and doing a little tuning to the magazines.

I've now put over 500 rds through my gun. It runs the Remington Gun Club (1200 fps) load at 100%. As the gun continues to wear, reliability with Federal, Winchester and Estate loads (all 1200 fps) continues to improve. Slower (1145 fps) loads still run about 50% of the time and I really don't feel that much reduction in recoil to get any benefit.

I also like to run the gun wet. I put Slide Glide on the rails, gas piston and bolt. Occasionally while shooting, I also hit it with some Rem Oil from an aerosol can.

The Remington Slugger (1200 fps) and the Rio 00 buckshot (also 1200 fps) both run at 100%.

Mags consist of several factory 5 rounders and one Firebird / SGM 15 rd conversion. A little tip from Gentleman Jim (Firebird Precision) was to smooth the interior of the metal mag body then lubricate with molybdenum disulfide. It helps.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

My gun, with the stock fully collapsed is over 26" long. (I don't know the exact length, I just wanted to make sure it was at least 26" and legal.)

Depending on your gun, the gas bushing and reduced power recoil spring may be of some benefit during the break-in period and also help run the lower power loads even after break-in.

From the beginning, I used both the reduced power spring and the gas bushing beginning with "hot" loads moving quickly to "softer" loads. In time, they will both come out and be replaced with just the factory spring. I suspect that a lot of problems folks have with keeping these guns running is not taking the time to break them in and doing a little tuning to the magazines.

I've now put over 500 rds through my gun. It runs the Remington Gun Club (1200 fps) load at 100%. As the gun continues to wear, reliability with Federal, Winchester and Estate loads (all 1200 fps) continues to improve. Slower (1145 fps) loads still run about 50% of the time and I really don't feel that much reduction in recoil to get any benefit.

I also like to run the gun wet. I put Slide Glide on the rails, gas piston and bolt. Occasionally while shooting, I also hit it with some Rem Oil from an aerosol can.

The Remington Slugger (1200 fps) and the Rio 00 buckshot (also 1200 fps) both run at 100%.

Mags consist of several factory 5 rounders and one Firebird / SGM 15 rd conversion. A little tip from Gentleman Jim (Firebird Precision) was to smooth the interior of the metal mag body then lubricate with molybdenum disulfide. It helps.

Bill

Any mention of weight added with the stock?

Uhh, the barrel is already 19" long. If you don't modify the barrel, you'd only need to come up with 7" of shotgun to make the 26" OAL requirement (that's not just a Kalifornia requirement, by the way, it's federal).

I have the TROMIX gas bushing, run the gun with Froglube, and have made no spring mods. After the break-in period (I shot full power slugs and buck and manually cycled a bunch of Wally World bulk stuff), it runs great.

I'm shooting an "X" serial number, not an "XN." Other than replacing parts to meet 922r compliance so I can mount a collapsible stock with an Enidine buffer tube, it's a stock gun (no changed springs, no gas bypass, no ports, no brakes, etc.).

Bill

Any mention of weight added with the stock?

I suppose the new stock along with the buffer tube adds a little weight, but not much.

The Firebird Precision aluminum lower will add several pounds to the gun's overall weight. The extra weight might assist with reliability on lighter loads but the big plus is the aluminum feed ramp.

Bill

Once broken in the XN should run wally world/bass pro bulk loads with factory setup, break in on the XN will range from 0 - 50 rounds.

Be careful shooting 3" with a gas bushing , I wasn't thinking last match , had a spinner , I thought I'd start with a 3" magnum turkey load , blew my gas piston ring part way off , just enough so the bolt wouldn't go into battery. Had to skip 8 SG targets, SCREWED that stage , as well as the match.

No damage to anything , more of a LEARNING experiance :blush:

Main advantage of after market AR stock is to make it as near identical ergos as your AR as you can. They WILL add wt. how much depends on your choice of stock

Here is my son shooting mine

Anyone for california? I've got a bullet button on it (from atlantic arms) but I plan to put a radlock on it for use in Nevada.

Just wanting to know about compatibility. My understanding is that the mag release is exactly like an AR so... I would assume yes.

Anyone for california? I've got a bullet button on it (from atlantic arms) but I plan to put a radlock on it for use in Nevada.

Just wanting to know about compatibility. My understanding is that the mag release is exactly like an AR so... I would assume yes.

No, it is not. The mag release is similar to the AR, but not the same. The Akdal lower is wider than an AR-15, so that's one issue. The other is that the Akdal mag release is an Allen screw from the button side of the receiver to the mag catch side of the receiver. I discovered this by accident, not observation, as the mag release started working its way loose and I thought it was set up the same way. It is not.

No, it is not. The mag release is similar to the AR, but not the same. The Akdal lower is wider than an AR-15, so that's one issue. The other is that the Akdal mag release is an Allen screw from the button side of the receiver to the mag catch side of the receiver. I discovered this by accident, not observation, as the mag release started working its way loose and I thought it was set up the same way. It is not.

I wonder if there is some way to get a raddlock to work on there.

I have the XN, took it to the range once to break in, only trouble I had shooting wolf slugs is that after the 4th shot the lens in the Barska Red dot shattered. The gun ran with all 10 rd mag and 5 rd mags. Yes I shot with no sights at 50 yards and hit the target most of the time. No feeding issues other than an occasional lite strike, I put all the shells aside that had lite strikes and at the end of the session put them all in one mag and they all went bang.

I've now mounted the new Weaver Red dot that looks like a fast fire. I had to jack it up to get a good cheek postion and see the dot center of the lens, just used the pictinny riser rail from UTG.

While it is in jail get some slugs, heavy bird shot etc for reak in, round up all of your estranged goose, duck, and buck shot high power loads. Give it a solid break in.

Flatlander that Rem oil is about as good as blowing your nose in the gun, I've tested about every gun oil out there on my CasePro rolling brass, the lube that keeps on going like an energizer bunny and is more slippery than Astro Glide is CLP, aka Break Free, I use it on my AK-Dilley, AR, and Open Gun, garage door rollers you name it..