Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Open Gun

pizzaman383

I do not believe it would be very effective since I am not aware of anyone having won a major USPSA or IPSC match with such a gun. The design has been around a long time meaning that if there were any competitive advantage to an Open Beretta, it would be done more often & nationally known. The lockup is completely different than a 1911, CZ or Glock; not sure if that would prove a problem for adding a comp.

I do remember the factory producing a specialized 92 with an extended barrel and a muzzle weight meant for some sort of competition. Again, no know use in USPSA - at least around here.

If you are looking for an ergonomic gun w/ Open potential, look at the CZ or its Tanfoglio clones. The reach to the trigger is long on there, but so is the Beretta's. Regards, D.

If you do a beretta I thought the billenium had a frame mounted safety. The CZ and clones also have the same basic principal for the barrel as it slides out the back of the slide and not the front. So when you comp it you pretty much leave the barrel in unless you remove the slide. I also have a Taurus that I had comped.

Alan

I have an open gun built on a 92. I just did it for fun. I put an OKO red dot on it and added an aftermarket barrel. I also installed a SAO trigger (after market) and dialed the trigger down to 2#. I think a 1911 is a better platform but I had a 92 that didn't get out much so I souped it up for speed shooting league.

Except for fun, and or steel, don't. :)

The best the Beretta can be for open is minor with 17 + 1 rds.

I had a killer open minor Beretta witha docter sight and thought it might work...then I broke a frame trying to make major with 135s.

It makes a great steel gun, but you won't make major.

Also, there are not many scope mount options, and no good ones. The optima/jpoint/docter is the best you can do, and I'm not sold on their reliablility.

NOW...if you just want to have fun shooting with a dot, forget the preceding and go for it. You will learn a lot in the process.

SA

I've done it. I've got a couple of them. Don't bother, it's really not worth it for USPSA. The 9mm won't make major, and you'll just blow up the gun trying. Parts are virtually non existant, everything has to be custom made or modified. Mag capacity is the other issue, if you tweak you can get 24+1 in 170mm mags, which isn't bad but still not up to standards.

Mine were built up for speed shooting/plate racks etc. and I only need minor for that, and did not need hi caps. For all out speed shooting they're great. A 9mm with a couple of ports in the barrel and a small comp has virtually no recoil, and the light open slide cycles very fast. Add that to Beretta's extreme reliability for feeding and firing and the thing just rocks.

Sometimes just to have a change of pace from shooting Production I'll pull one of the speed guns out, load up some of the hi caps and play in Open, shooting minor, but it's just for fun and really not competitive at anything above club level. In a bigger level match it'll probably max out with some good B class scores, and I can't really see it alllowing you to go any further. YMMV

• 4 years later...

Just ran across this older thread. Is BerettaRacer still around??? Interested in his thoughts on my open (accurized by David Sams) Beretta.....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58245

>Bob

I've done it. I've got a couple of them. Don't bother, it's really not worth it for USPSA. The 9mm won't make major, and you'll just blow up the gun trying. Parts are virtually non existant, everything has to be custom made or modified. Mag capacity is the other issue, if you tweak you can get 24+1 in 170mm mags, which isn't bad but still not up to standards.

Mine were built up for speed shooting/plate racks etc. and I only need minor for that, and did not need hi caps. For all out speed shooting they're great. A 9mm with a couple of ports in the barrel and a small comp has virtually no recoil, and the light open slide cycles very fast. Add that to Beretta's extreme reliability for feeding and firing and the thing just rocks.

Sometimes just to have a change of pace from shooting Production I'll pull one of the speed guns out, load up some of the hi caps and play in Open, shooting minor, but it's just for fun and really not competitive at anything above club level. In a bigger level match it'll probably max out with some good B class scores, and I can't really see it alllowing you to go any further. YMMV

Edited by PB92

They are really cool looking no doubt, gorgeous even. But they aren't meant for USPSA. I have seen Dave Olhasso shoot one at PSA for steel and that was it. I recommend that if your looking for something practical and reliable go with one of the following open guns that were recommended in the above posts. I like St's Sv's. But it's all personal preference.

I actually built the gun as a steel/speed shooting gun, 9 minor. Going 9 major was an after thought. It can shoot 9 major, but not a good idea feeding it a steady diet of it in competition. I don't want to beat it up, its tuned in now so perfectly its scary.

Yes, Dave O was involved in the build, its his magwell on the gun he designed. The slide is done on its way back with the J Point 8 on top, but the frame is still out with the grip stippiling............then its off to have the frame Cerakote finished in blue titanium................

>Bob

I actually built the gun as a steel/speed shooting gun, 9 minor. Going 9 major was an after thought. It can shoot 9 major, but not a good idea feeding it a steady diet of it in competition. I don't want to beat it up, its tuned in now so perfectly its scary.

Yes, Dave O was involved in the build, its his magwell on the gun he designed. The slide is done on its way back with the J Point 8 on top, but the frame is still out with the grip stippiling............then its off to have the frame Cerakote finished in blue titanium................

>Bob

Please post pics when you get it. I am really curious to see how it came out.

JZ

Dave o's gun is built on the steel framed 92 single action. It is what he uses for minor power. Steel challenge and falling steel. Great little gun, I perfer the 2011 guns, however you need a bit more power to run the 1911/2011 style guns.

Yes, that was a Steel 1 Beretta. I think Dave is selling it also. These builds take so long, but, if you want what you want it takes time.

Dave o's gun is built on the steel framed 92 single action. It is what he uses for minor power. Steel challenge and falling steel. Great little gun, I perfer the 2011 guns, however you need a bit more power to run the 1911/2011 style guns.

• 1 month later...

Some quick pics, the JPoint 8 min is mounted, the frame stippling is done and bead blasted, some small things to do then it's off to get Cerakote blue titanium....maybe even a two tone frame........almost done................

Picture438.jpg

Picture437.jpg

Picture436.jpg

Picture435.jpg

Picture434.jpg