Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3-Gun - Will a Benelli Nova Pump Work for Me?

I have been reading a lot about 3-Gun and would like to give it try. I don't intend to be a "competitor", I want to go out, shoot and have fun. Yes, I would like to do well, but I'm not looking to be a champion - having fun and trying something new is more important.

That leads to my question - I need to buy a shotgun suitable for 3-Gun, but I am on a budget. I am leaning towards a Benelli because I like what I have heard about them and I like the 10 year warranty. But, I don't know if I can justify the price of an M2. Will a Nova or Supernova pump work for someone like me - a weekend 3-Gun participant? I guess I could get a cheaper Remington 1100 or 1187, but it's not something I want.

Thanks for any feedback.

A Nova or particularly a Super-Nova with its longer loading port is probably the best pump gun going for 3-gun. Get either one, add an extended mag tube on it, and go to town. If you're competing head to head with auto's you will be at a disadvantage, but for ease of loading alone I would take a Nova over an 1100 or 1187.

A 24" SuperNova is an excellent place to start. Relatively inexpensive, very reliable, extremely fast and easy to reload. My Versmax is very easy to load and I am consistently 1 sec faster per 8 shells with my S Nova. The time I lose pumping the gun is made up in reloading and I can run competitive times on all but the very fastest courses. It is also very modular in design making it much easier to field strip than most other pumps. I would take a S Nova over a budget auto any day of the week.