Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Mounting location

KevenW

Where should i mount the 550? It has strong mount and roller handle. Im figuring center or a little to the right. How far from the edge? Also the lee will be mounted directly to the desk somewhere near where it is above the missing drawer so that it doesn't block any drawers.. It'll come off the 2x6 frame thing. I bought it from a friend that way, its just sitting there for the pic. I also have a dillon swager, where should it go? I've had this stuff for a few years and just now getting around to it. I mounted the 3/4" plywood with a 5/16" nut and phillips head bolt countersunk in each corner. The top of the desk is thin sheet metal with a thin layer of formica type stuff so it was too week. I'm also gonna mount a vice on the left front corner. Thanks.

image_zpsdfc93d7e.jpg

Edited by KevenW

Pay attention to where the handle comes down. if you get the press mounted too far back, the handle will hit the bench on the down stroke. Mine is on the left side of my bench, but that is only because of how my bench is positioned. I have a wall on the right end of my bench. I wanted a little room on one side to work, so mine is about where your Lee is. Maybe a foot more to the right.

Edited by jlamphere

If you are going to be sitting while you loaded, then yes. You might want it just to the right, as you will be looking at the left side of the press as you load. Maybe above you right knee as you sit at the bench. You want to look into each case to see the powder. The picture is a little dark on my computer, so it is hard to make out the details of your bench. I would mount the swagger to a board and the clamp the board to the bench as needed. No sense in taking up bench space if you do not need to.

Will the strong mount raise the press too high to visually check the powder charge from a seated position?

I know from experience the desk height is too low for loading from a standing position comfortably.