Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

met my STANDARD reload goal.

dirtypool40

A minor thing, but I was really frustrated and working pretty hard at it. Losing my mag button, huge magwell and 140mm mags in the belly button position really slowed me down.

I will be shooting international IPSC Standard for the next few years, so I have switched all my gear to that; no mag button, tiny Krebs magwell, short mags and point of hip position.

I set a goal of cleaning the bianchi plates and hittinga sub 1.00 reload before I left FL for BOL for the new job. I kinda cleaned the plates, but never did get that .99 or better reload. I was a little dissappointed in myself, lack of practice and even gear at times.

I finally got my gear back last week and started to dry fire again. Maybe twenty minutes a night.

Yesterday at my second practice session with my buddy down here we started hitting the drill on an IPSC popper; draw and hit it once, reload hit it a second time.

I went 1.20 (for the reload) right out of the box, then he did.

When it was my turn again, I went .97 reload. GOAL MET-----SCHWING!!!

The next one I hit was a .95 draw, .95 reload. I hit a whole series in the .90's with a best of .92.

I also hit some "blast off" drills. Start standing and shoot that 10y popper, as you move out of the first position (fw, back, L, R whatever) snap a reload and shoot the popper again. It's a better training tool for the field courses we shoot and is a way to test those moving reloads. I have never hit them anywhere near as fast as a standing reload, but they are getting better. Yesterday I hit several in the 1.15 range and a best of a 1.04.

I am pretty stoked, worked hard for it and was getting pretty discouraged. Now it's time to smooth them up and make them like a xerox machine.

Congrats dirtypool, thats really smokin, i ran far and away the best el prez of my life the other day and did it with a 1.12 reload, also by far my fastest ever, and with a single stack to boot. guess i better keep practicing if im gonna get below 1 flat. I agree with triggerT also, the more i think about it, the slower it goes, just close your mind and do it.

Thanks guys. These are just drag race, stand and shoot times, but a goal is a goal.

My best El prez times with USPSA LIM gear are in the 4.5-4.7 range, and a snappy but smooth reload there usually ran in the 1.15 range. A 1.15 with a skinny gun is smokin'. I hit a 4.51 VICE prez (facing targets) the other day from my standard gear, but had a mike.

As to not thinking about the reload, you're on to something there. I shot the local match this past weekend, and I cannot remember a single reload but hit every one.

(totally unrelated, but I also got my new 19 round IPSC standard mag. It runs perfect, I can even reload TO it and it has run 100% so far. kick ass.)

Dirty,

As soon as I posted that I strapped on my gear and went out back to try a couple more before I left for work. Best reload was 1.50 with the SS and had a coupla El Prez's in the high 6's. Then of course, my last one was way faster than the others and by the 4th shot I started thinking about the reload and fudged it big time. Go figure...

dirtypool,

that's some serious work going on!

Impressive to say the least.

The best I can do on a popper @ 10 meters is 1.15s on the draw and 1.29s on the reload part, for a total of 2.44, but a consistent run would be in the 1.25+1.40 neighborhood.

Now I have to ask: why no mag button? I've been using a wilson combat extended mag button since I started shooting Standard Division. Is yours a choice or a necessity?

Congrats dirtypool, I've just started to dry fire again after resting my tennis elbow for a month and 1 sec is my goal for a static reload. I was affraid that the rest period had left my very rust but to the contrary, i was sharp, relaxed and focused. :huh:;)

Btw - welcome to the rest of the world.. ;) you can now also put external devices on your canon, like I've done, all legal in std div.

A dalmas custom heavy canon..haha

the file is 2.2M so it might take some time to open depending on your connex speed.

Edited by Dalmas

Skywalker, no button because I started to simplifiy my gear about a year ago, and was tied of the occasional "speed UNload" that came from having the Arredondo button on my gun. I was quicker though with an ICE magwell, the button and things in the "belly button" position.

My fastest on draw, reload, reload to an IPSC steel target was 2.66. So I made a sub .90 for the draw and first two reloads.

No that's NOT an average, but a personal best. It was easier gear to be fast from, but I am happy my technique has improved to get me close and sub 1.00 without it.

Dalmas, wicked cool gun Bra. Lefty's scare me, I started shooting when Joe Kessler was still at the top, and now Jeff Gambrell is smokin us all.

I guess if I could wish for the perfect mag button it would be about 1/8" longer than standard, maybe a slight angle and checkered. Checkering made a big difference.

This is quite an improvement for me though. Back in the day with a Krebs magwell and a slick button, and mags up front, I could only break 1.30 on rare occasions, and never in a match.

Rock on....

minor update:

Draw and load to a 10y popper best so far of .85 first shot, .95 reload.

Best so far of a .92 load to a 10y popper.

Hit a .97 out of the SECOND pouch today.

Hit a .99 "blast off" reload, moving out of a shooting position (I time it by starting static, shooting one target, then "Blasting"out of the shooting position while I load and grabbing the next target on the move).

My poor plastic Krebs is FUZZY from practicing (and missing) so much. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Another minor update.

I went out the other day to see if the sub 1.0's were a fluke, with the hopes of breaking my PB of .92.

I also wanted to live fire the draw and three reloads drill I have been hitting during dry fire. I use a par time of 4 seconds and can make it dry fire almost every time now if I am smooth.

Results:

NEW PB from 1st pouch: .83 (only 1/100th off my best ever with mag button, ice magwell and mags up front)

NEW PB from 2nd pouch: .94

NEW PB from 3rd pouch: .99

Hit the draw and three reloads in 3.85, but only two hits.

Minor Update:

worked a ramp up in practice today, going slow and smooth, then a little faster, then haul ass, consequences be damned.

It had been a few days, but I did finish well. Last run, as I run out of ammo, I broke all my old records.

Draw .84

load from 1st pouch .82 (NEW PB for STAN gear by .01, tied all time PB)

load from 2nd pouch .84 (NEW PB old PB .94 so I picked up .10)

load from 3rd pouch .87 (NEW PB, old PB .99 so I picked up .12)

Draw and 3 reloads. NEW PB of 3.37

Draw and 2 loads NEW PB of 2.50 (old PB 2.66 gained .16)

ok, ok, ok I know you guys are sick of hearing about it, so I'll shut up until I break into the .70's. I've just worked really hard to finally see this kind of improvement.

NEW GOAL of a .79 or better before I go to Argentina in two weeks.

Would love to hit a .75 by the FL Open.