Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 1050 worth the money?

I think it depends on the volume you load per month on an average. I own a 1050 Super with a Mr Bullet Bullet Feeder, two 650s and a 550. I use the 550 for load development. One 650 is set up for 40 S&W, one for 38 Super revolver( no problem seating Federal primers for revolver with 5 lb double action) and the 1050 set up for 9mm Major for my open gun. The majority of my ammo requirements are for the 9mm.

If you are only loading one caliber or two the 650 with a case feeder will more than meet you needs. It is also much eaiser to convert the 650 from one caliber to another. If you load both large and small primers buy a complete primer system for each size and the press can be converted in 5 minutes once you do it a couple of times. Conversion of the 1050 takes longer and is quite a bit more expensive to set up complete toolheads.

If you are loading high volume the 1050 is the way to go. When I get in the mood to reload I can load enough rounds for several months on the 1050 in an hour and a half.

With the 1050, I can spend seven days loading ammo taking 20 minutes each day, and wind up with ~2,500 loaded rounds without pushing myself. Or I can do multiple short sessions and end yup with an easy 1,000 rounds. The same time on a 650 yields about half that amount, and some of the rounds will have not quite deep enough primers....

Half, Nik? I gotta call BS on that. LOL

Your output of 2500 rounds in 140 minutes is not double my 650 output. Not even close. (actually, it matches my 800/45min number)

I don't have ANY problem setting primers deep enough on my 650.

That might have something to do with the fact that you are a beast of a human being.

:D

I have a 550 and added a 1050 and beat myself up for getting one sooner. Then I added another 1050. I'm sure a third is in my future. I see no need for a 650.

post-19948-0-57975500-1335572002_thumb.j
Edited by Reinz

Hello all! Thanks for the info on things. To answer some of the questions... I reload 9mm, 45acp, 300 BLK, and .223. I am swaging separately on the rifle and then loading on the press. It would be nice to do it all on one press. I guess that I reload maybe 10,000 rounds a year or more combined by all calibers. Heck it may even be 15k.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a Dillon 550b with a case feeder. I was wondering what anyone thought about upgrading to the super 1050.. Is it worth the cost, and can I use my dies from my 550b on the 1050? The dies are Dillon dies, and Redding. Thanks.

The 1050 is KING and worth every penny. HOWEVER, since you already have a 500 WITH a case-feeder, it really depends on how much you load and what your time is worth. I bought a 1050 for my first machine (although I have used many others) and would not trade it for any other manual-type press.

When I was comparing prices, I realized that the price difference between a 1050 and a fully populated 650 (case-feeder, dies, etc.), was a lot close than I realized. This made the choice of the 1050 easy for me.

I do plan on buying a 550 in the near future due to exotic calibers that cannot be loaded on the 1050. If I already owned a 550 (with a case-feeder even), the choice to upgrade would be more difficult... but I probably would anyway!

Were you 1050 owners concerned about the 1 year warranty? What could break or happen after that year that would make me wish I had a 650 with a lifetime warranty?

Not at all. If you're a commercial reloader, you need it and don't care. If you are small time, you may never break anything.

From what I hear, Dillon will warranty parts if they figure out your not a business.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

The 1050 is an amazing beast. I have two.I helped a buddy dial in his new 550 the other day. Wow it's like a little inefficient toy compared to my 1050's.

Compaired maybe, but it is one great inefficient machine. Lol

the way i looked at it when I bought my 1050, the purchase itself is a one-time expense. my time, is an ongoing expense. which one is more expensive? For me, the answer was that time was more expensive and I have zero regrets for going with a 1050.

the way i looked at it when I bought my 1050, the purchase itself is a one-time expense. my time, is an ongoing expense. which one is more expensive? For me, the answer was that time was more expensive and I have zero regrets for going with a 1050.

So true.

Adding up everything I was going to buy, the 1050 was only $600 more.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express