Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm MAJOR, HS6, Glock / M&P

mike g35

I have a couple new open pistols that are almost finished. One is a G34 from Carver, the other a M&P9. I have good load data for both guns, but its for AutoComp not HS6. I have some AC backordered but none on hand. I have a TON of HS6 on hand and I know it's a viable alternative but I need some info before proceeding. I am currently running an COAL of 1.135. My guns always seem to like that length. I've heard that many shooters run a bit longer (1.15) but I am wondering if I have to do that or if I can run my loads at their current length while taking the charge down by .1-.2 . I'm not new to reloading but I am very new to 9mm major. I'm looking for a good starting point, info on OAL, and info on what I need to be looking for to know whether or not I'm running too hot. Looking to make 168-170pf. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if that paragraph seems a little "scatter-brained", it's hard to properly communicate with a temperature of 100 degrees + and a bad case of pneumonia) :-)

Start at 7.4grns of HS6.

I'd suggest using a chrono. :cheers:

Highly desirable component of reloading and determining PF. Having used HS6 with several guns and bullet weights--7.4 is just a starting point like I indicated.

Since you are going beyond SAAMI specs, I would highly recommend loading as long as you can for pressure reasons.

I load my M&P with 9mm KKM barrel up to 1.150" with MG 124 gr HP and can go almost to 1.195" with Berry's 130 gr RN. Your barrel may be different and I've never loaded 9mm for Glock, but I would think the longer the better.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the chamber is one thing... the magazine is another. Some barrel makers make pretty long chambers even for Glocks, but the magazines will only take so much. Before you load too many of anything, get your magazines out and try them with a FULL magazine and see if they will still feed upwards as you flick them out with your thumb. If they do, you are at least half way there. If they fit in the chamber as well, and run the gun, then you have something you can actually shoot.

I run mg 124 jhp out to 1.15 and they work great in Glock mags, I also have used bayou bullets 124 at the same length. I had go ream the lone wolf barrel to be able to use that length in my G35. The gf G34 runs that length with factory barrel. I tried running them at 1.16 and they would not feed through the mag, they would hang up.. just make sure to use the drop test for length the bullets in chamber also.

Edited by noexcuses