Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Grease Fitting Question

My nice new XL650 has a grease fitting (see photo), and my official XL650 maintenance kit has a little grease gun with no fitting. My question is: will an ordinary hardware-store grease gun fit this fitting? I don't plan to drag the press into the store to find out. If you have an XL650 with a grease fitting, and if you bought a grease gun to work with it, please let me know where you got the grease gun and if there is any sort of standard size for these things.

Thanks,

Chris

XL650GreaseFitting_zps4de194d0.jpg

Don't have a 650 with grease fittings, but do have a 1050 with grease fittings....

IIRC, I just walked into the local auto parts store and bought a mini grease gun. It's nozzle fit the grease fitting. I could be wrong, but believe they're a standard size.....

Don't have a 650 with grease fittings, but do have a 1050 with grease fittings....

IIRC, I just walked into the local auto parts store and bought a mini grease gun. It's nozzle fit the grease fitting. I could be wrong, but believe they're a standard size.....

Good, thanks very much. I'm off to the auto parts store!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Assuming just a couple squirts or do I look for it oozing out somewhere?

First, I love that sentence. LMFAO. To answer the question, just look for some of the old grease coming out of the other side of the arm.

I upgraded my 550 with the new fitting parts, gave me a chance to dissassemble the whole machine clean lube, even added the oil holes at the top of each extention arm. Also use powder grafite and rub it on the sides of the primer slide. Haven't had any sticking issues since!