Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cool range owners!!

TommyC

Went to a local range to try out my new shotgun today and the owner wondered out to watch.  He noticed that my misses were consistently missed in the same general direction and mentioned that I probaly had a fit problem with the stock.  The kid he had running the traps commented that he shot a newer version of the same gun and suggested that I try adjusting the stock.  (I didn't even know it was adjustable!)  The owner offered his workbench and tools and we adjusted it a few times untill it was right.  No charge, no hassle, just a fun day at the range with good people!  Other than giving me a hard time about shooting Skeet with an IM choked 28" barrel!!  :)  (It's what came with the gun!)

The nearest outdoor public range around here is 1 1/2 hours away, the nearest indoor range, 3 hours. The nearest topography that can be used as a safe backstop, 45 minutes. Some of you have traveled through Southwest Kansas, and know what I mean. So a rancher friend brings me out to a mound of dirt on his place, tells me to shoot there anytime, then brings out his tractor for me to dig the bank out into a nice backstop. And wont even take my money for the diesel I burnt building my paradise! Double cool, huh!

Mark,

I grew up in Tribune, Kansas (about 120 miles northwest of you)  

We used a dry wash creek (or should Ah say crick?) about a 1/2 mile north of Tribune for our shooting range.  Of course you had to keep an eye on the weather on the western horizon.  It was also our motocross track, but NOT at the same time....usually.

Hi Nolan,

The Cricks around here are to shallow and narrow to shoot in...... But they are all dry! Some guys use grain pits (silo's, grainerys, I'm not from here, and aint sure what they call them)  I think I'll go out after dinner, (or supper, whatever they call it,) and bust a cap or two. If you're ever through Fowler, and need to take shelter from a twister, stop in. I haven't had one hit much closer than a mile away. Come around noon and I'll fix ya some supper, (dinner, whatever they call it) Saaaaaaalllllluuuuuuute!

Thanks Mark,

I live in San Jose, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, but if I'm ever in Fowler I'll be sure to stop in and say hello.

Tribune is around 100 years old and has never been hit by a tornado, Horace, Kansas 2 miles away gets hit about every other year.  It's just the lay of the land that twisters get steered around Tribune.  Personally the next time Horace gets flattened I would move all 3 houses, the liquor store and railroad station that make up Horace to the other side of Tribune, but hey that makes too much sense.