Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp vs. Wilson

thunderstick

I have a Les Baer pistol that I am using for L-10. I have been using Wilson 10 round magazines and they have been working well. Recently I noticed though that from a slide lock reload (I know that is bad) that the magazines will cause a jam. I am thinking that part of the problem is the lips are getting weak. What I was wondering is do the Cobra mags work any better?

thanks

I shoot L-10 with some people who use wilson mags they say the mag lips need reforming from time to time. I use chip m. they all needed help. There are lip forming tools from brownells that are well worth the $80 after using the tools once you will see the difference in your mags

As far as the Tripp mags one shooter is STILL waiting on them to arrive!

The malfunction from slidelock, what does Les Baer say about that. I shoot a dif brand and never had a problem with the 1911 or anything else I have. hope some of this is at least a little help.

What kind of malfunction from slide lock? Is it a case of the top round popping out when you seat the mag, then when the slide drops it strips another round causing a double feed? If so, that can happen with just about any brand.

I use CMC Power Mags and the Mitchell brand equivalents (sold by cdnninvestments.com). They function nicely.

I use the same combination of mags that Rhino has and they have worked flawlessly for over 25,000 rds. My shooting bub just bought some of the Tripp mags and likes them, but he also has CMC that work as well. You will also find that there are a lot of Wilson users here that will only use Wilsons. I guess the secret is find what works for you and your 1911 and stick with it.

The jam happened in a match so my assigment might be a little off but this is what happened. I shot to slide lock, inserted the new mag and in the course of doing so the slide came 3/4 of the way forward. It was really hard to lock back so that I could drop the magazine. My assessement at the time was on insert the top round popped up and part way into the barrel. Maybe this was just a case of overseating. Thanks for all the comments.